How do I do this right?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an innovative Marine 30 gallon 35.43" L x 14.96" W x 12.99" H. The tank is running on to AI prime 16 HD. I like these little lights a lot and have them tuned in the way I want and I'm getting nice color and solid coral growth. As with many other reefers as the reef begins to grow in I noticed more and more shading. The obvious answer comes in the form of using some t5 bulbs for fill. My questions are;

Can I get away with a 24-in hybrid fixture? I found a great deal on one!!! Dimmable even!!

Can I run just the two inside bulbs and not the outer two? They are running on separate ballasts

The reef tank at present looks beautiful, and I follow the kiss theory. The last thing I really want to do is fry up my gorgeous reef tank tinkering with my lighting

What bulbs should I run? I have a bunch of blue most of the day with a 10k period of about 3 hours at peak. Something 15-20k would probably be best I think

BRS had a whole video so I am confident I can find the best spectrum match for this application, but welcome opinions

I'm not looking for a lot of extra par. I'm really looking for fill through a good portion of my photo period.

Advice is needed

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back