Trying to find a budget budget friendly light

zachary1124

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2026
Messages
55
Reaction score
42
Location
385 crystal SpringsGreenville
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an affordable light that doesn’t cost too much and possibly offers app control to adjust the settings remotely. I'm getting into the hobby, with my tank already set up, and considering a small reef. I'm unsure what type of reef I want, so a versatile light that can handle different settings would be ideal, though not necessarily the best choice. My tank dimensions are 36 x 13 x 16 inches. What's the best way to set up lighting? Should I get one or two lights for this tank size?
 
I really like the Nicrew lights from Amazon. They come in different sizes, are well built, put out good PAR, and look great. They are controllable, but not with an app. You have to buy the controller separately ($50).

I like the HyperReef Gen 2 models because they have enough white channels to give the daylight look that I prefer.

Theoretically you could do 2 smaller lights (if Nicrew, something like the NavaReef 65) to get even coverage across the 36" width of your tank, or you could get a single bigger light and plan to put your lower light corals on the darker ends.

I have a 6 foot tank and use 2 bigger lights; each seems to span 3' just fine.
 
Quanta bars, best bang for the buck..... Reefi uno, best bang for the buck higher end.
 
PXL_20250411_220327586.jpg

This was my 29 gallon. Single quanta bar with a lumi light strip (non pro). Colored up acros, shaggy rainbow Millie, and almost all of them were brown boogers when they started. There's obviously a lot more to it than the lights but it proves they can do anything. Countless tanks were started with those hundred dollar Amazon boxes , just gotta mount them very high up
 
I bought 2 pop bloom rl60’s for my Red Sea 250 and couldn’t be happier! Great par, good light spread and they are WiFi app controllable. I learned about them after watching the review from reef rookies.
watch
 
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an affordable light that doesn’t cost too much and possibly offers app control to adjust the settings remotely. I'm getting into the hobby, with my tank already set up, and considering a small reef. I'm unsure what type of reef I want, so a versatile light that can handle different settings would be ideal, though not necessarily the best choice. My tank dimensions are 36 x 13 x 16 inches. What's the best way to set up lighting? Should I get one or two lights for this tank size?
For clarity.. define "remotely" like over a phone and bluetooth or like cloud and internet globally?

As to sizing, 30gal shallow tank doesn't require one to go crazy.
 
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an affordable light that doesn’t cost too much and possibly offers app control to adjust the settings remotely. I'm getting into the hobby, with my tank already set up, and considering a small reef. I'm unsure what type of reef I want, so a versatile light that can handle different settings would be ideal, though not necessarily the best choice. My tank dimensions are 36 x 13 x 16 inches. What's the best way to set up lighting? Should I get one or two lights for this tank size?
@docscorals is selling some redsea 60 led lights. Idk if he still has them but message him an ask. I just got some 115 from him and I absolutely love them and there app controlled
 
Those dimensions are similar to my 32 gallon, I used a 100 watt nicrew for years and it worked well. When it burnt out I got myself a popbloom rl90, both are good quality low budget lights for that size tank IMO
 
Noopsyche k7 or viparspectra 165
 
Check out Glowrium on Amazon. They've been in the lightning business for 20+ yrs. I bought their 48" @ 95 watts max output. Couldn't be happier! Has a great wifi app with tons of features. Or you can do it by Bluetooth. They even come with a temp probe that's decent.
They are @ 1/5th the price of most comparable lights, have a 2yr warranty and you can purchase a 3 yr version from Amazon for a few bucks more.
Frankly, I'm not sure why more people aren't talking about their product.
 
I have nicrew hyperreef 50's and love them. Don't like the spectrum on the it's and recently added 2 popbloom rl60's. Great lights. And less than the nicrew's.
 
I have nicrew hyperreef 50's and love them. Don't like the spectrum on the it's and recently added 2 popbloom rl60's. Great lights. And less than the nicrew's.
On the 65's
 
I've had good luck with the Nicrew NavaReef + the Nicrew controller... no app but budget friendly and I've been able to grow SPS no problem. I'm upgrading to XR15s, but Nicrew was great to see if I wanted to stick with the hobby.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new