Using only AI blades on bigger tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Max1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
From what I have read the green and red are not important to coral growth .I would like an opinion regarding that
The term "important" is problematic.
The bandwidth can be use-able but unnecessary or perform functions that are ancillary.

Literature wise you get stuff like this. note the Zooxanthella action spectrum
Keep in mind that peaks aren't "exact" and can differ by how it was measured.:

coralpigmentsB.JPG

And the absorption spectums of pigments concentrating on Chl a, c, and peridinin.
Especially peridinin where it can outnumber chl a 4 to 1 See the PCP complex
The peridinin molecules absorb light in the blue-green wavelengths (470 to 550 nm) and transfer energy to the chlorophyll molecules with extremely high efficiency.[1][2] PCP complexes are found in many photosynthetic dinoflagellates, in which they may be the primary light-harvesting complexes
coralabsorption.jpg


Problem is there is really no definitives out there.
About the best is heavy red light (like pure 660nm red) will bleach your corals.

I'll leave any comments on algae out.
 
Last edited:
I'm still pretty new, is a wavelength of 420-460nm ideal? Like I know that its high uv and low visable +a little red based on research papers, but is this 410-485 something that reefers agree on? and if so should the AI blades be really good, based on the spectrum the advertise, it looks like the peak is bang on 420-460? I know it's a difficult question so if not sure than no issue
BRS did a pretty neat comparison video that showed where the 16 best brands fall on both par and pur, but I can’t find it. There’s a post of it on their Facebook page, but I couldn’t get the sound to work.
They seemed to think around the 410 to 485 range was really important for sps coloration and extension, explained here:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/brstv-investigates-lighting-pur-quality-of-light
 
Last edited:
20260708_235912_9C3DAF16-6DC8-4E9F-BA51-81FBB2221AE0.png


20260708_235912_B05E1543-C907-44AB-8BFB-BBD0A8769630.png


I use only 2 x24” Ai blade grows on my mixed reef IM 50 lagoon. It’s not perfect, but neither am I.

I run them white heavy, directly on top of the tank and get 400 par where my clam is.
 
Did you run just the blades and no other lights? What was coral growth like?

Just the blade yes. Coral growth was adequate. I have no complaints about that
 
I have one 48” glow and two 48” grows over a 60” long 150g display. Been running this light setup for the last 12 months, replacing Neptune Sky lights that were malfunctioning. Tank is 24” tall, lights peak at about 75% mid-day and I get plenty of spread.

20260709_123944_D78F19BB-D964-4751-967E-3BF21D74DC2B.png


20260709_123944_4CFCD7C6-72AC-4434-B77A-53376030948D.png


20260709_123944_CA2B7A73-D38F-4A33-8B45-DED356A05E64.png


20260709_123944_07564064-EFF5-410D-B3AC-BE3DB4514408.png


20260709_123944_0248BB58-A244-4BF2-9C6B-88A12523DF2A.png


20260709_123944_64679B2D-D368-4136-B7AF-49C4C07A7E07.png
 
Hi, I am wanting to find out if anyone has been succesfull using only AI blades for a mixed reef tank before. I see some people saying that they have, but I haven't seen anyone with a larger tank say they have done it. I see people use them as supplementary lighting, combined with other lights, but not just the AI blades. I see that on the AI website they state that the lights can be used on their own. I have a 150cm long tank running 2x Red Sea LED 170s and thinking about changing, considering running 2x AI blade grows and 1 glow. What is peoples thoughts? Thanks

You can absolutely use Blades only as your tank light. There is a very popular person on YouTube that uses it as his only lighting on his display. I'm currently using 6 blades (4 Grow & 2 Glow) only on my SPS dominant 72x36x30. I have the lights tuned to 72% on the color spectrum I dialed in and have almost 300 par on the base of the tank (30" deep).

Par is absolutely not an issue with the Blades. The only potential concern I see with them is the lack of spectrum outside of Royal Blue/Blue. I was it had some warm white and some other blue/violet in the in between spectrums. Good luck!
IMG_9621.jpeg
 
Last edited:
You can absolutely use Blades only as your tank light. There is a very popular person on YouTube that uses it as his only lighting on his display. I'm currently using 6 blades (4 Grow & 2 Glow) only on my SPS dominant 72x36x30. I have the lights tuned to 72% on the color spectrum I dialed in and have almost 300 par on the base of the tank (30" deep).

Par is absolutely not an issue with the Blades. The only potential concern I see with them is the lack of spectrum outside of Royal Blue/Blue. I was it had some warm white and some other blue/violet in the in between spectrums. Good luck!
IMG_9621.jpeg
Thanks, I also want to get 5 or 6 of the lights now, either 2 glow 3 grow, or 2 glow 4 grow. Do you have an opinion on this? Do you think that the ratio you have done of 2 glow to 4 grow is ideal?
Also would you have an opinon on mounting something like this on the back of the tank? I cant find anything I can buy to do this. You have your 6 lights mouted in a flat line horizontally, I am thinking that I want to mount mine in a slight curve like an umbrella, so the ones on the very front and back face the main rockwork a bit more, and dont shine out of the tank as much. Do you have any thoughts on this? are you happy with the way yours are mounted? Thanks
 
Thanks, I also want to get 5 or 6 of the lights now, either 2 glow 3 grow, or 2 glow 4 grow. Do you have an opinion on this? Do you think that the ratio you have done of 2 glow to 4 grow is ideal?
Also would you have an opinon on mounting something like this on the back of the tank? I cant find anything I can buy to do this. You have your 6 lights mouted in a flat line horizontally, I am thinking that I want to mount mine in a slight curve like an umbrella, so the ones on the very front and back face the main rockwork a bit more, and dont shine out of the tank as much. Do you have any thoughts on this? are you happy with the way yours are mounted? Thanks

I'm very happy with the way mine are mounted. I don't think you need to angle as they are such a flat blanket of light, they already to a good job of eliminating shadows (much like T5 lighting). I think 5 would be more than enough for your width of tank.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new