Using only AI blades on bigger tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Max1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Note that I have a similar sized tank (at least in width). I previously ran triple AI Blades (2 Grows + 1 Glow) but switched to Straton X since I wanted more par for a SPS dominant setup. Both are nice setups, albeit the Statons are even more expensive but at generate 550+ par halfway down the water column running at 75% intensity. You don’t not need that kind of par for a mixed reef.

If you plan to go the AI Blade route you should go with 2 AI Blades Grow first. That may be enough light and coverage. Then the question is whether to add another Grow or Glow. I prefer the Grow spectrum personally but that is a matter of preference (eg, I run a mostly daylight spectrum most of the day).

For a 5 ft tank I prefer the mounting options for two Straton X vs. triple AI Blade but that is because I don’t use ceiling mounts since my ceilings are quite high which makes things complicating.
Thanks, I really like the straton X and would get 2 or three if I could, I like the look and performance. Unfortionately they aren't here in Australia, and if I was to import them then the plugs would be different, so not the best for me I dont think.
If I said I also was going to get a frag tank, 150cm long, 40cm tall, 60cm width, (60x16x24 inches in goofy numbers) would AI blades also be alright for that for having ok growth? Did you have decent growth? It will mainly be for soft coral and some LPS and SPS
 
Also does anyone have a good solution for mounting the blades? I want to do a hang on the back thing and mount 3 lights for now, but have the ability to mount 5 later if needed. Also for anyone who has used them, whats the glare like if in line of sight? do you recomend a light shroud for them? Thanks
 
Thanks, I really like the straton X and would get 2 or three if I could, I like the look and performance. Unfortionately they aren't here in Australia, and if I was to import them then the plugs would be different, so not the best for me I dont think.
If I said I also was going to get a frag tank, 150cm long, 40cm tall, 60cm width, (60x16x24 inches in goofy numbers) would AI blades also be alright for that for having ok growth? Did you have decent growth? It will mainly be for soft coral and some LPS and SPS
I don’t think you will have any issues with growth (attributable to the light source) with any light that provides sufficient par and spread. Growth mostly takes patience and time!

Glare: I don’t believe this is a major issue with the AI Blades even if mounted higher. Here again you can just add shrouds later if needed but I can’t recall anybody needing to do that with the Blades whereas that is very common with Radions.
 
Last edited:
Also does anyone have a good solution for mounting the blades? I want to do a hang on the back thing and mount 3 lights for now, but have the ability to mount 5 later if needed. Also for anyone who has used them, whats the glare like if in line of sight? do you recomend a light shroud for them? Thanks
I am making my own with extruded aluminium . Simple affair all the fittings including swivel joints are available on amazon . Just an L type of bracket that fits perfectly into aluminium tube then it fits int a flange at the bottom. Hoping to get to it today actually
 
I am making my own with extruded aluminium . Simple affair all the fittings including swivel joints are available on amazon . Just an L type of bracket that fits perfectly into aluminium tube then it fits int a flange at the bottom. Hoping to get to it today actually
Send some pictures please if you get it thanks
 
I ran a 30" grow for 2 years. Plenty of experience.

They don't have any red or green leds. Or anything past cool white. It dosen't give a pop to certain colors in my eyes. For example when I switched lights my pink streaked wrasse really popped. The pink really stood out.

I'm not saying they aren't good lights. Aesthethicly they are very nice, and their spread is awesome. Great par for their wattage. Perfection however is a myth.
 
Didn’t realize you were in Australia. But yes it’s an excellent line from one of the top USA based companies. They ship worldwide but I’m unaware of the cost. Might not be in your favor once factoring for shipping.

Yes they are very good and will grow coral

IMG_1967.gif



20251024_144330.gif


Blades can do a great job also. Just throwing out an option that I thought could save a bit of money, but I didn’t check where you were located.
Where these pictures using only blade lights? they look good, what camera was this with also?
 
they do look simple and not up to the task but they will get the job done and pretty well. granted they wont have the range of a radion XR but. when correctly sized to the tank they put out more than enough light. i have a trio of BTAs that love them. 12in on a deskmate classic 4ins from the water running WWC 20g template. set at 40 to 50 percent. i love them
 

Attachments

  • 20260614_164730.jpg
    20260614_164730.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 29
  • 20260614_164739.jpg
    20260614_164739.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 43
Were these pictures using only blade lights? they look good, what camera was this with also?
This is with the meridian I mentioned. I have a 48” tank with two meridian 11’s and the 45” edge led bar added on.

Your tank is approx 60” and I reccomended the meridian 45 which is essentially 4 meridian 11’s in one fixture.

This was filmed with a iPhone SE and a regular clip on orange filter lens
 
They can but I would look at quanta Helix bars instead.

The ai blade is not very versatile in its spectrum. Although it does have good par for its wattage
I think this is code for “doesn’t hit that blue 420 to 460 sweet spot needed for sps” ….but, if that’s true for the blades, it just means that it’s true for all AI lights.
They’ll grow sps, but they won’t color up.
My hydra 32’s grow sps, but they didn’t quite pop and I had to over clock them causing the lenses to melt by the third year. They replaced them without problem, but the corals really suffered when they started to go and it took time to figure out what was happening.
 
Last edited:
I think this is code for “doesn’t hit that blue 420 to 460 sweet spot needed for sps” ….but, if that’s true for the blades, it just means that it’s true for all AI lights.
They’ll grow sps, but they won’t color up.
My hydra 32’s grow sps, but they didn’t quite pop and I had to over clock them causing the lenses to melt by the third year. They replaced them without problem, but the corals really suffered when they started to go and it took time to figure out what was happening.
Just yesterday I added fans to keep my AI Primes cooler because they were cycling on thermal at 90 % . That may be a solution for you. My Primes are now at 90% for uv violet ry blue but lowered the green and red to zero and cool white to 68 and noticed that one Corals colour is very noticeable but another obviously does not like it at all. since they are both at the same depth and are epoxied on I am at a loss at the moment . So all coral are not created equal even though the site from the store where I bought them described their care the same. Guess I will have to find another source for information
 
I’ve yet to find what spectrum they’re missing that is so uber important all things die or look bad without it

IMG_0010.jpeg
IMG_1019.jpeg
IMG_2567.jpeg
Oddly enough with nothing to lose just tilted the light towards the happy one and away from grumpy. It is getting a little more cheerful already
 
¿Alguien tiene una buena solución para montar las aspas? Quiero colgarlas en la parte trasera y montar 3 luces por ahora, pero tengo la posibilidad de montar 5 más adelante si es necesario. Además, para quienes las hayan usado, ¿cómo es el deslumbramiento si están en línea recta? ¿Recomiendan alguna cubierta para las luces? Gracias.

¿Alguien tiene una buena solución para montar las aspas? Quiero colgarlas en la parte trasera y montar 3 luces por ahora, pero tengo la posibilidad de montar 5 más adelante si es necesario. Además, para quienes las hayan usado, ¿cómo es el deslumbramiento si están en línea recta? ¿Recomiendan alguna cubierta para las luces? Gracias.
Hola, yo Hello, I use the HMS bases for Hydras I have the hybrid bracket on, I currently have 5 Hydras 4 64 and 1 32 + 2 Glow, I like this combination more than putting the Hydra edge because the Hydra 64 are hot spot and the Blade blurring, the edge do not work for me in this case and I have a very good response from all my mixed tank I have a tank of approximately 1,000 liters of water and 2 meters long. My blades are the 66" the largest.
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20260702-WA0023.jpeg
    IMG-20260702-WA0023.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 30
I think this is code for “doesn’t hit that blue 420 to 460 sweet spot needed for sps” ….but, if that’s true for the blades, it just means that it’s true for all AI lights.
They’ll grow sps, but they won’t color up.
My hydra 32’s grow sps, but they didn’t quite pop and I had to over clock them causing the lenses to melt by the third year. They replaced them without problem, but the corals really suffered when they started to go and it took time to figure out what was happening.
I'm still pretty new, is a wavelength of 420-460nm ideal? Like I know that its high uv and low visable +a little red based on research papers, but is this 420-460 something that reefers agree on? and if so should the AI blades be really good, based on the spectrum the advertise, it looks like the peak is bang on 420-460? I know it's a difficult question so if not sure than no issue
 

Attachments

  • Grow.PNG
    Grow.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 48
I ran a 30" grow for 2 years. Plenty of experience.

They don't have any red or green leds. Or anything past cool white. It dosen't give a pop to certain colors in my eyes. For example when I switched lights my pink streaked wrasse really popped. The pink really stood out.

I'm not saying they aren't good lights. Aesthethicly they are very nice, and their spread is awesome. Great par for their wattage. Perfection however is a myth.
Did you run just the blades and no other lights? What was coral growth like?
 
RHF runs them on his 120 and the look is hard to beat. A very halide like look and they grow coral well.
Check his build.
Who is RHF? I googled but couldn't find him. Does he run only the blades?
 
Hola, yo Hello, I use the HMS bases for Hydras I have the hybrid bracket on, I currently have 5 Hydras 4 64 and 1 32 + 2 Glow, I like this combination more than putting the Hydra edge because the Hydra 64 are hot spot and the Blade blurring, the edge do not work for me in this case and I have a very good response from all my mixed tank I have a tank of approximately 1,000 liters of water and 2 meters long. My blades are the 66" the largest.
Are the Hydras 64s noisy?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new