Grade my Stocking list ideas!

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I will be setting up a 75 gallon (preowned and already cycled) reef tank this weekend.
It comes with fish, but I think the purple tang and angelfish are probably too big for the tank or will be at one point... So, I'm going to sell them.

Ultimately would like to build a softy/LPS reef.

The fish I have in mind are:

Ocellaris Orange Clownfish (non-negotiable, comes with the tank)
Mocha Clownfish (want to give the first a buddy)
2 bicolor chromis (come with the tank)
Either a Lawnmower or a tail spot blenny
Firefish goby
Green Mandarin
Various clean up crew (hermits/snails/maybe an emerald)

At a glance what are some concerns or suggestions for other fish?

Thanks for your input!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as those clowns are the same species, it will be fine. I'm not up on all the breed names.
The rest of the list is fine.

What species is the angel? Lots of folks keep dwarf angels in 75 gallon reefs.

Consider fairy, flasher, and Halichoeres wrasses. Halichoeres can compete for pods with the mandarin.

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as those clowns are the same species, it will be fine. I'm not up on all the breed names.
The rest of the list is fine.

What species is the angel? Lots of folks keep dwarf angels in 75 gallon reefs.

Consider fairy, flasher, and Halichoeres wrasses. Halichoeres can compete for pods with the mandarin.

Thank you!

I'm not sure about the species of the angel, but my other concern (depending on what kind it is) is that it might eat corals....

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All angels outside of the Genicanthus varieties (which are generally too big for a 75 gallon anyways) are a gamble with corals and it often comes down to the individual fish. The Genicanthus Angels include the following (Bellus, Lamarck's, Swallowtail, watanabei). The Chromis would be a concern as generally they pick each other off and often come with a nasty disease (uronema). Personally I avoid them since they aren't worth the risk IMHO.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quite a few smaller fish, orange ff, ornate gobys (they were smaller) randles goby, barnacle blennies, sharknose goby, spotted mandarin. I had a small lawnmower blenny in with them for a while but at about 3" there started to be some agression with the other smaller fish so he was moved to another tank. Now I have a Midas blenny in that tank. Not that this will definitely happen with that stock list but it is my experience. He was worst with the FF which is why I mention it seeing both on your list.

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All angels outside of the Genicanthus varieties (which are generally too big for a 75 gallon anyways) are a gamble with corals and it often comes down to the individual fish. The Genicanthus Angels include the following (Bellus, Lamarck's, Swallowtail, watanabei). The Chromis would be a concern as generally they pick each other off and often come with a nasty disease (uronema). Personally I avoid them since they aren't worth the risk IMHO.
The chromis come with the tank, but I'm not particularly fond of them anyway. May trade the 2 chromis, the tang, and the angel in for corals or a mate for the clown right off the bat...

I think the Angel is either Bellus or promacanthus (I'm sure I spelled that wrong), but the pictures I have are terrible

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quite a few smaller fish, orange ff, ornate gobys (they were smaller) randles goby, barnacle blennies, sharknose goby, spotted mandarin. I had a small lawnmower blenny in with them for a while but at about 3" there started to be some agression with the other smaller fish so he was moved to another tank. Now I have a Midas blenny in that tank. Not that this will definitely happen with that stock list but it is my experience. He was worst with the FF which is why I mention it seeing both on your list.
Gotchya... Thank you for your input! Between the FF and the lawnmower blenny... I'd rather have the lawnmower

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back