Graf bonsai or regular bonsai ? Or is there a diffrence?

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this frag a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure it's a bonsai, now is it a graf ? Is there really a difference? Either way it do t really matter lol I'm just looking to clarify

20200402_144231.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got this frag a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure it's a bonsai, now is it a graf ? Is there really a difference? Either way it do t really matter lol I'm just looking to clarify

20200402_144231.jpg
Theres a difference. Yours is Garf.

I have a different type, yet colorful and considered garl:

1585853514969.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. Some generic bonsai is quite nice, but the real GARF Bonsai is deeper purple with greener polyps than most.

This is true with lots of different species. Not all shortcakes are the same, Tyree Superman is more blue and red than generic ones, etc. Sometimes this does not matter at all, but sometimes people fight and fight to get GARF colors out of their piece when that particular piece of A. Valida will never get those colors.

This is why lineage and names matter... so that people "who care" know what to expect.

Most real GARF will encrust a whole ton before is starts to grow. It is not uncommon to have a 3" encrusting disc with a 1" single branch on it.

OP
OP
Eddie7144

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. Some generic bonsai is quite nice, but the real GARF Bonsai is deeper purple with greener polyps than most.

This is true with lots of different species. Not all shortcakes are the same, Tyree Superman is more blue and red than generic ones, etc. Sometimes this does not matter at all, but sometimes people fight and fight to get GARF colors out of their piece when that particular piece of A. Valida will never get those colors.

This is why lineage and names matter... so that people "who care" know what to expect.

Most real GARF will encrust a whole ton before is starts to grow. It is not uncommon to have a 3" encrusting disc with a 1" single branch on it.
Cool info, so this is a grag

20200402_144231.jpg

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @jda
I got a frag from a good friend before he moved his tank. It wasn't one I really wanted but banking stuff....it is SO deep purple with green polyps and encrusting a ton. I don't know how to post pics but happy to get a pic and send to someone to post if you want to PM.
Todd

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back