Gramma loreto (Royal Gramma)

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I thought I would bring on over my breeding journal in order to spread and receive information. Please post links to others who have had success with this breed.

General
Species: Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
Social Structure: mated pair
Size of Individuals: male 2.5", female 1.5"
Age of Individuals: unknown
Date added to Tank: 07/15/2011

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 10 gallon
Substrate Details: barebottom
Filtration Details: 40g sump, filter sock, ATB 840 skimmer, ~40# live rock
Water Changes: 10% monthly
Water Temperature: 78 F
Lighting: 48" shop light
Lighting Cycle: on:8am-12am off:8hours
Other Tank Inhabitants: none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Rod's Food(coral,fish only and fish egg blends), Spectrum Thera +A, my home mix with clams,shrimp, and a ton of other stuff, Otohime C2
Feeding Schedule: 2-3 per day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 02/19/12
Spawn Time of Day: ~ 7pm
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 03/23/2012 (FIRST CLUTCH HATCHED)
Courtship Details: twitching displays by the male before both entering into the PVC tube
Egg Size: ~1.5mm
Egg Color: opaque, with eyes showing
Egg Count: ~25

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 03/30/12
Hatch Time of Day: during lights out, ~11pm
# Days after Spawn: unknown
Larvae Description: ~3mm, clear, darting motions

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Larval Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer:

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday, July 29, 2011 4:40 PM (permalink) My first time with anything but clowns. The male seems to have a little cloudy spot on his eye, any suggestions? I plan on moving out the Hogfish. So far I haven't seen any nest building with the chaetomorpha, maybe I will try some capelara algae soon. I have only found limited info on these, any good info that is a must read?

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:56 PM

Alright, I am new to these guys. I noticed at my last feeding of the day(about 9pm) that the two royal grammas were "interacting". I thought they were fighting at first. They were locking jaws face to face for a second or so. They did this a couple times so I went to grab my video camera. When I came back down stairs they noticed me and didn't lock jaws on camera but I did get some twitching action. Is the action noted in the following videos and observed by myself considered signs of impending or active spawning?
Watch action around 30 sec. mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AHQp-U3LLE&feature=player_embedded

Watch action around 23 sec. mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2rOuwDer1s&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thursday, October 06, 2011 9:27 PM (permalink) Well the pair has been moved into the broodstock system for a few weeks now. The male has built a nest in a piece of 1" PVC with reducer end caps. The problem is that he almost never comes out, just briefly to feed. He is much more skittish. I try to shine a flashlight in the tube to see if there are any eggs buy he blocks the whole opening. I have not noticed any spawning behavior but honestly I haven't spent a lot of time watching them. Any suggestions on assessing "my" progress?

Here is a picture of the PVC. This shot was taken a few weeks ago. This end(pointed towards the front of the tank) is completely packed of chaeto. The back side is where he camps out.

IMG_3125.jpg

OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday, December 09, 2011 10:34 AM (permalink) Well, I think I might have had a tiny bit of success......if I can call it that. I believe that the male is tending some eggs. I did not see a spawn but the male is fanning the eggs(if that is what they are). It is hard to know for sure without taking out the PVC pipe which contains the nest. So shall I take it out to assess the suspected egg sack?

This is how the male spends most of his day. This is why it is hard to see what is back there, little own get a picture of it. Plus he always darts back in when I get anywhere close.
IMG_3848.jpg

Here is the best pictures I could get. Look at the six o'clock position.
IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3849.jpg

Here is a side view of my set-up. Dirty glass, I know.
IMG_3861.jpg

OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:03 PM

Thanks for all the help. As photographed, I keep a ball of cheato inside the tank to allow the male his building supplies. Today I found an egg mass inside. I scan the tube every few days but never thought to check the cheato OUTSIDE the breeding tube. Here are my pictures. I was heading out the door and thought that I would set up the larva snagger before bed tonight. I returned home and the eggs were gone. Luckily, I can see two distinctive eyes so I know for sure they are Royal gramma eggs. Next step is catching some larva.

IMG_4534.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

IMG_4535-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday, March 30, 2012 1:34 PM

Well, I got about 7 larva in my snagger last night. Shame on me for not having rotifers. My culture crashed and I plan on picking up some more tomorrow. But at least I know they are hatching and that my snagger is working somewhat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:51 PM

Here is a video from this morning(10am) with about 5 larva left alive. I looked in before I went to bed, 9 hours earlier than this video, and there were about 12 swimming around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55dcS6VpK_o&feature=youtu.be[video=youtube;55dcS6VpK_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55dcS6VpK_o&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:15 AM

Now that I have some rotifers to feed, I set the larva snagger last night and started the green water. I woke up this morning to about 100 larva.......Woot, Woot!

I hope to get a few past a few days on my first attempt.

On a side note: what is the best way to get the larva out of the vossen snagger? It seemed to get about 4-5 on the screen, no matter how gently I tried to transfer them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 day ago Here is a video of the larva at almost 48 hours. The focus is slightly off at some point. I wish I could get micro shots like some but I'm working with what I have. Available in full screen and 1080p for the best viewing.
I will saw the larva are just about half the size of A. percula larva. They also have big black eyes and what looks to be a stripe around the middle of the body.

Royal gramma larva Day 2 - YouTube<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaYPHrI72f0&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">[video=youtube;eaYPHrI72f0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaYPHrI72f0&amp;feature=player_embedded[/video]

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, amazing stuff there, thanks for sharing the info and pics!

OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day #5. I think I have ~30 larva left. Slow growers!

[video=youtube;AnOEcAVnDq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnOEcAVnDq0&amp;feature=youtu.be[/video]

OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day #7- Down to 5 larva.

I switched from 24 hour lighting 36 hours ago. I now have been running 12on/12off. I also added 1 gallon to the initial 5 gallons to increase total water volume.

Next time I will do a BRT(Black Round Tub) and collect 2-3 days in a row. Any other suggestions?

OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had three make it to day 8 but that's it. I basically treated them like clowns. No clutch to try again as of now so I have time to adjust my system. Any suggestions or questions?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to guess you are going to need a copepod population the feed the larvae in addition to rots..

OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! How did you match the pair up?

I actually got them from another reefer already paired up. Just try for a big size difference and take it slow.

I am going to guess you are going to need a copepod population the feed the larvae in addition to rots..

Mmmm, something to think about for next time. Thank you!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back