TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated stocking list.

Added a few zoas, a funcan, and torch to the tank yesterday! Nice to have some more color in the tank.

Attachments

• 20221007_184410.jpg
    20221007_184410.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20221007_194319.jpg
    20221007_194319.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 37
  • 20221007_184329.jpg
    20221007_184329.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221007_184341.jpg
    20221007_184341.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a bit since I've posted an update. Switched things around in the tank by removing a bit of rock because I didn't have enough space for coral. I also switched things around fish wise by adding a six line wrasse and removing my goby and firefish.

My pH has been extremely high the last few days at 8.5. not dosing anything for this either. Tank seems to be consuming a good amount of alk a day as I have to dose daily now.

On a more unfortunate note I'm currently battling dinoflagellates as a result of low po4. I've increased my po4 and I've been cleaning the tank daily. I remove the filter floss every morning and night (I have a lot of it). At night I agitate it all of the rock and sand bed and into the water column were I siphon out large portions of the dinos. I also let it filter into the filter floss which collects a ridiculous amount of the dinos as well then replace the floss. In the past 2 days alone I have noticed less strength in the population of dinos, but still think I have a bit ahead of me before I've beaten it

Attachments

• PXL_20221102_005339793.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221102_005339793.MP.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 36

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thread! Is the protein skimmer that you're using fits nicely in Chamber 1 and is it very loud??

Cheers

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thread! Is the protein skimmer that you're using fits nicely in Chamber 1 and is it very loud??

Cheers
Fits perfectly. I actually switched it to chamber 2 because I rather the filter floss actually catch things. And it's not loud. Pulls a ton of skimmate as well.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Will pick up the skimmer for Black Friday sale - I know so many say that having a skimmer is unnecessary, but I don't see the harm in having one. By the way, consider getting a UV light - it might help clear up Dinos and other nasty. I have a UV light, but don't have enough chambers now if I'm going to get the skimmer. I do like using chamber 1 for filter floss, but I might put the UV light in there and switch over to Chamber 2 for the filtration. I'll swap out UV and skimmer from time to time....

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fits perfectly. I actually switched it to chamber 2 because I rather the filter floss actually catch things. And it's not loud. Pulls a ton of skimmate as well.
Hi there...I'm wondering with the skimmer that you have, which I"m planning to purchase as well, what is the water level in chamber 2 at versus the water level of the display area? I"m told that with this skimmer the water line must be at a specific level to function properly.

I have my chambers about 2.5 inches down from the top - mainly because of the ATO as I don't want the water level that high.

Any tips would be appreciated in the setup of the skimmer
Thanks!

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there...I'm wondering with the skimmer that you have, which I"m planning to purchase as well, what is the water level in chamber 2 at versus the water level of the display area? I"m told that with this skimmer the water line must be at a specific level to function properly.

I have my chambers about 2.5 inches down from the top - mainly because of the ATO as I don't want the water level that high.

Any tips would be appreciated in the setup of the skimmer
Thanks!
I'm away currently. I'll have to check when I get home. My filter chamber is quite a bit lower than the display water level. I adjust the skimmer every once and a while. It pulls great skimmate.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm away currently. I'll have to check when I get home. My filter chamber is quite a bit lower than the display water level. I adjust the skimmer every once and a while. It pulls great skimmate.
Thank you - I appreciate that if you can check for me. I'm assuming that your ATO will keep the water levels constant overall, so hoping you don't need to make that many height or water level adjustments to the skimmer.

I'm still trying to find the best position for the Hygger wavemaker - even at its lowest power setting, I find it quite strong.

By the way are your Hermit crabs leaving your snails alone?

Cheers

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - I appreciate that if you can check for me. I'm assuming that your ATO will keep the water levels constant overall, so hoping you don't need to make that many height or water level adjustments to the skimmer.

I'm still trying to find the best position for the Hygger wavemaker - even at its lowest power setting, I find it quite strong.

Cheers
I adjust it a couple times a week.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers
I put the hygger on the opposing wall to the return. And I don't have any hermits.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adjust it a couple times a week.
Ok...thanks. The water level in my chambers are quite low and my concern is that the skimmer needs a certain level of water for it to work properly - I don't necessary want to raise it that high because of the ATO feed tube. How many inches from the top would you say you have the water level down in the chamber?

Cheers.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...thanks. The water level in my chambers are quite low and my concern is that the skimmer needs a certain level of water for it to work properly - I don't necessary want to raise it that high because of the ATO feed tube. How many inches from the top would you say you have the water level down in the chamber?

Cheers.
I'd estimate between 1.5-2 inches from the top

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back