Gray spots on Rasta zoas

madadium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had moved these zoas about mid tank so they could colonize a rock but I noticed small gray spots in the middle of a few polyps. Now the gray has spread to almost all of them.. one or two seen unaffected. They were thriving before I moved them, so I moved them to a partially shaded area yesterday. Any ideas to save this colony?

No other corals affected, everything else is happy. Water parameters:
Temp: 78
pH: 8.2
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Salinity: 1.026
Alk: 9.5
Calcium: 420
Reef is about 2.5 months old.
IMG_20180916_110052.jpeg

OP
OP
madadium

madadium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention I dipped in revive when I got them (a month ago) and again yesterday.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large colony of Rastas that had a almost black face to them after I moved them to different lighting setup. I found when I toned down the whites they got super colorful again.

OP
OP
madadium

madadium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large colony of Rastas that had a almost black face to them after I moved them to different lighting setup. I found when I toned down the whites they got super colorful again.
Thanks for your comment! Yeah I actually just upgraded my lights shortly after getting the zoas. I was worried about the whites. So you think it's best to just keep them in a partially shaded area and the color should come back? I didn't want to have to cut the graying polyps off to save the colony

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your comment! Yeah I actually just upgraded my lights shortly after getting the zoas. I was worried about the whites. So you think it's best to just keep them in a partially shaded area and the color should come back? I didn't want to have to cut the graying polyps off to save the colony
Ya I’d move em down. Not too shaded but you will for sure have better luck lower. I would not try to remove discolored Zoa from colony. Let alone. Don’t keep dipping. Just put em in better, less par place and leave them alone. My opinion

OP
OP
madadium

madadium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: moved the rastas to partial shade and they have completely recovered!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back