Green Algae issue on tank glass

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just treated my 210 gallon reef tank for a small problem with red cyano algae. I used Chemiclean and it worked great. The issue I am having now is that I have to clean my glass at least 2 times a day now of green algae. My nitrates are at 5.0 and my Phospates are at .05.
Any suggestions or thoughts?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean Up Crew.

You will always get algae issues after chemiclean because it just knocked out what used to be one of the major nutrient export measure in your tank, (yes, cyano does suck up the excess nutrients in your tank and that how they thrive).

So I guess more frequent wc, or get 2 or 3 urchins, they do great at cleaning the glass and rockwork.

Last edited:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, Cyano is NOT an algae, it's a bacteria. Chemiclean is an antibiotic (erythromycin). You'll want to build up your microfauna again.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem! I believe I had dinos at one point. I was treating it with mb7 and vibrant then added 2 low watt uv sterlizers to the sump. Its gone now from sand, rocks but now a terrible redish film is back on glass within days of water change! I saw a youtube posted by inappropriate reefer, he was very excited to be cleaning his film off the glass saying that it was all that was left of dinos and it was from dosing bacteria! He said the film was a bacterial or diatom bloom from dosing. After I saw that video I quit dosing and cleaned the glass but it keeps coming back! Now I am only dosing mb7 about 1 to 2 times a week. Something has also killed a lot of my corals as well! I did lower the lights thinking it was fueling the dinos. My po4 is 0.05 and nitates about 10. Any ideas or suggestions?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back