OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amount of growth after 24hours.... it usually doubles everyday untill I get another chance to syphon.

Pics are with whites at 100%. Normally run them at 20% max

Attachments

• 20221204_172930.jpg
    20221204_172930.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221204_172935.jpg
    20221204_172935.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221204_172951.jpg
    20221204_172951.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more flow also

I Have high flow as it is. no reds in spectrum...have done blackout. I do have some cerith snails they do not touch the stuff. Also currently cannot run any macros or refugiums..it will bottom out my nutrients extremely fast. I've always have the problem of tank running to clean. I only run sock/skimmer and no matter how much I feed tank just consumes everything. I belive around 8 months ago I bottomed out hard with GFO and caused Dinos... silicate dosing was my saving grace. Diatoms took up available space and out competed the dinos. I kept nitrates between 3-5 and and phos .03 - 0.8 since then. Roughly 6 months ago. Sand was pure white for a week and then this green algea has been there ever since.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you the erythromycin route will work with a blackout, extra air from air pumps etc....but it may toast some of your critters. Get nitrates up a bit, add macroalgaes, get a few hundred cerith snails, shorten your photoperiod a bit, tone down your red spectrum, and keep beating it down manually. Saying all that I used chemiclean when I had cyano bad last year.
Screenshot_2022-12-03-22-07-51-94_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Added 25 of these to the tank... they won't eat it... they walk over it but not graze.

iko2thdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keeps growing...
Same exact problem. I've tried all that you have tried and have also struggled w maintaining LPS. My params are like yours. One suggestion was dosing carbon but concerned that nutrients would bottom out. Another suggestion was Vibrant, but not happy about using that product. Will follow too...

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how to get rid of this algea? I've tried everything... has been on sand roughly 6 months...I've siphoned sand plenty of time. RODI is all new filters. Tank is not getting sunlight from window. Some disappears at night. Comes back fast after siphoning. 12hr photo period with 2 hour ramp up/down.

Waterbox 130
2 kessil a360x
2 icecap 4k gyres
Socks/skimmer/carbon

Feed 1 cube a day
3 tangs
Midas blenny
Royal gamma
Tomato clown
Anthias
Chromis
Tons of snails/hermits
2 conchs

Parameters:
(All have been stable as a rock)
Alk 8.0
Cal 434
Mag 1397
No3 5
Po4 0.03
Ph 8.1 - 8.3
Temp 78

20221202_161318.jpg 20221202_161335.jpg 20221202_161342.jpg 20221202_161348.jpg 20221202_161354.jpg
Have your nutrients been stable? Do you remember what we’re they before this algae started to appear?

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your nutrients been stable? Do you remember what we’re they before this algae started to appear?
Bottomed out nutrients roughly 8 months ago...got dinos... fixed it... now this has been here for past 6 months.... nutrients have be stable past 6 months.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same exact problem. I've tried all that you have tried and have also struggled w maintaining LPS. My params are like yours. One suggestion was dosing carbon but concerned that nutrients would bottom out. Another suggestion was Vibrant, but not happy about using that product. Will follow too...
Driving me nuts!!
All I hear about is stability, stability, stability.... takes time... nutrients out of balance ect. Ect. my tank has been rock solid stable for atleast 6 months if not more. Nothing changes.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottomed out nutrients roughly 8 months ago...got dinos... fixed it... now this has been here for past 6 months.... nutrients have be stable past 6 months.
That explains a lot, there is a strong argument that most nuisances bloom by taking advantage of ammonia being produced by the system, your dinoflagellates bloomed with it and once you won the battle that ammonia was re directed to this organism. The sand bed and rock work are always trapping organic nutrients that produce ammonia wile decomposing I would personally increase the heterotrophic bacteria population by adding a source of carbohydrates to the system or a mix of acetic acid, ethanol and carbohydrates (nopox) by doing so you would be starving this organism by ammonia.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains a lot, there is a strong argument that most nuisances bloom by taking advantage of ammonia being produced by the system, your dinoflagellates bloomed with it and once you won the battle that ammonia was re directed to this organism. The sand bed and rock work are always trapping organic nutrients that produce ammonia wile decomposing I would personally increase the heterotrophic bacteria population by adding a source of carbohydrates to the system or a mix of acetic acid, ethanol and carbohydrates (nopox) by doing so you would be starving this organism by ammonia.

Nutrient levels are on the low side. I struggle to even keep them where they are now. Wouldent that just bottom me out again and allow Dinos to come back in?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the flow in the tank (couldn't see an powerhead)?

Could it be ammonia trapped at the sand feeding the growth? Would increased flow do anything to dissipate trapped ammonia so to speak?

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the flow in the tank (couldn't see an powerhead)?

Could it be ammonia trapped at the sand feeding the growth? Would increased flow do anything to dissipate trapped ammonia so to speak?

2 4k gyres... alot of flow. Any higher in % the sand starts flying around the tank. Siphon the sand almost every weeknd just yo slow growth, if not it just gets worse and worse.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 4k gyres... alot of flow. Any higher in % the sand starts flying around the tank. Siphon the sand almost every weeknd just yo slow growth, if not it just gets worse and worse.
Hmm. I would put it to where sand is moving then back off 1% :)

Coralline growing, coral growing...PH is at level...cuc present....manual removal....gotta be something at the sand level imo

Idk how often you're doing manual removal (vacuuming) but maybe have to do it every day even for a bit even

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I would put it to where sand is moving then back off 1% :)

Coralline growing, coral growing...PH is at level...cuc present....manual removal....gotta be something at the sand level imo

Idk how often you're doing manual removal (vacuuming) but maybe have to do it every day even for a bit even

Pretty much at that right now... every once in a while a get a lil sand blowing around of the bottom. I try vacuum every weeknd but there's just no way I'll have to to do it daily. Just tested nitrate/phos this morning and Nitrates just dropped to 1 (nyos/redsea). Have spent the whole week overfeeding like crazy and still nutrients drop to near 0. Sock haven't been changed in a month and just skimmer runs. I starting to think possibly the gsp is just sucking nutrients??? No idea I'm at a loss.

Back