Green and Red LEDs = Warm white?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is an oversimplification, but if red and green leds are blended well, don’t they basically make a yellow/orange light much like a warm white LED?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is an oversimplification, but if red and green leds are blended well, don’t they basically make a yellow/orange light much like a warm white LED?
If you mix red, green, and blue light, you get white light. Warmer or colder white would depend on the hues' particular nanometer peaks and intensities.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mix red, green, and blue light, you get white light. Warmer or colder white would depend on the hues' particular nanometer peaks and intensities.
Right. But if you turn off blue light and look and green and red light alone together it basically looks yellow/orange, much like a phosphor covered “warm white” like you would find on a Radion.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. But if you turn off blue light and look and green and red light alone together it basically looks yellow/orange, much like a phosphor covered “warm white” like you would find on a Radion.

Yes, that's what I would expect our eyes would see.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but is there more of a point you want to get at?

rg.JPG

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but is there more of a point you want to get at?

rg.JPG
I guess... is a warm white phosphor-coated LED that much better for corals than mixing Red and Green to get a similar light color?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess... is a warm white phosphor-coated LED that much better for corals than mixing Red and Green to get a similar light color?

The short answer is that a warm white LED provides a 'fuller spectrum' (includes blues, yellows and oranges) than just a red/green combo.

Comparing just the two examples here exclusively, I would say that WW is the 'better' of the two since the coral is getting additional wavelengths for photosynthesis and chromoprotein production.

Many of the best modern LED arrays have both 'White' (usually some combination of either WW, NW or CW) and separate channels for red and cyan/green to allow for separate manipulation of these hues.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back