Radion XR15 Gen4 Pro Keeps Randomly Red Light Blinking

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.
I'm having problems with my GEN4 LEDs. More specifically, here are the symptoms:

1. In the middle of the schedule / night, the middle button starts blinking red and white. Not 100% consistent, happens maybe 20% of nights but when it does the schedule does not resume by itself.
2. The front of of the light (being the side with the buttons) seems to be hot. Issue reproduces whether or not button is enabled or disabled.
3. Fan DOES work, but I would expect the fan to be turning on sooner when the front is very hot. Probably thermisistor measures right above the LEDs for temperature and not at the front.
4. USB connection seems to frequently disconnect. In the middle of programming / flashing / factory resetting. USB timeouts occur on a USB cable that works with Gen3 Radions, so can't be a USB cable issue.
5. If I run the "calibrate utility", it doesn't actually turn on all the LEDs but rather a subset of them. But if I rerun it again, sometimes the LED comes on? See: blue led for case where 4th led does come back on sometimes but not always (its always a little bit dimmer). Also see white led for case where white LED does not come back on in this utility. But in normal schedule (1st pick), it's always on.

I contacted ecotech / radion and unfortunately the light is not under warranty. Now yes, I could have them work on a repair -- but my concern is if that the issue does not reproduce over there, then the root cause may not necessarily be fixed.

Soo... anyone got a guess?
My guess would be a bad LED controller, but anyone have any ideas / advice?

20240419_202912.jpg
20240419_194828.jpg
20240419_202310.jpg
20240419_203338.jpg
20240419_203408.jpg
20240419_203629.jpg

OP
OP
W

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so one update: I think the 1/4 LEDs not being up is because the forward voltages are not equal on the LEDs used. So as the LED controller signals for the brightness to go up in a certain channel, 3 start at the very beginning of the necessary forward voltage, but not the fourth. Why is the spec not precise, beats me...

Inside of the light looks clean from taking it apart, so I dont think its a broken trace.

However I looked at the USB port, micro usb. It looked like the header inside of the port was bent upwards, eg like it was too far up and possibly shorting on the grounded rim. I bent it down / more towards the middle of the port, plugged in a short micro usb cable, and the buttons seem to work? My USB connection was also more consistent?

It's strange. I just flashed a new schedule, but I'm hoping that was the issue.

It also seems I can reproduce the issue if I plug and unplug via usb a couple times.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back