Green bubble tip anenome

SkipsPrincess77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my green bubble tip for id say just under a year. When I bought it it was green.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438633364.110784.jpg

It started loosing it's color and began to look faded
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438633427.494406.jpg

Recently it hasn't been open as much as it used to be so I think it may be unhappy. The bf didn't listen to me when I told him to leave it alone and rotated the rock it was on. Well now it's moved to the back of my tank and I can barely see it. Boys! lol. Anyways it went from being green to tan and now it is a purple/red color with maybe just a hint of green.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438633714.812401.jpg
that's the best pic I can get unfortunately since it's facing the back of my tank. Really hope it decides to move to a better location soon. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I think maybe we were feeing it too much in the beginning. I am not sure.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light is is under and for how long each day?

What are your params? (Please note normal is not a param :p )

OP
OP
S

SkipsPrincess77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have t5 lighting with led accents. This is the 29 gallon coralife biocube standard lighting. So it has one of the blue T5 bulbs along with one of the white bulbs. I run the blues from 9am-12pm. Then at 12pm I add the whites till 6pm and then back to blues before turning them all off at 9pm. I don't know if this is a good lighting schedule. I kinda just made it up.

I will have to re check parameters when I get home. Knew I'd get asked that. Lol.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your light schedule is fine, Not sure how intense they are though, that can be a factor. Thats what I like about LED you can dial them down and know what percent they are on.
I would say make sure your phosphates are 0. If they are not then work on getting them to 0. Plenty of ways to do that, I used to run GFO and it helped but never went to 0. I stopped running it and bought some phosphate RX, it works almost over night depending on how high you have them.
Also check your nitrates, try to have them as low as possible as well, they dont necessarily have to be 0 but low is good... Mine are around 10 or so and I have even had them about 25 with no issues at all.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, the parameters are going to be supplemental in this case, but I don't think this is the generic, "let's slap some generic check the nitrates and phosphates info and call it a day" issue.

That said, the Nutrients (N & P) could be leading to some additional problems, but I feel this is more lighting then anything.

According to the manufacturer, your tank comes with 1 24W True Acitnic 03 Blue and 1 24W 10K Daylight and a row of 3 blue LEDs (which are only .75W so not worth running during the day)(Additional LEDs can be added). They are power compacts and not T5s. If you have no hood and a different fixture please let me know and I can adjust my recommended.

If you look at the progression pics, the Nem is browning out instead of becoming or staying more fluorescent. This usually happens with either wrong intensity or wrong spectrum lighting.

You've had the Nem for a year, unsure on how long you've had the tank, but you didn't mention a bulb change, which means it's probably time and probably a good time to switch up your lighting combination. Personally I don't have any first hand experience with this fixture, but I'm not a huge fan. I'm even less of a fan of the lighting combination. If a light upgrade isn't in the cards and you're stuck with what you have, I would start by swapping out your lights to:

I'm going to list the UPCs and item number on this page (http://www.coralifeproducts.com/product/lamps/compact-fluorescents/) that I think are correct with your fixture but I would double check with CoralLife to be sure:

1 Acitnic - 96316543324 54332
1 50/50 - 96316543317 05523

This is probably your cheapest option, will it work long term? You're just going to have to test it for like 3 months and see if things improve. I would add the new bulbs 1 at a time then wait a week. Replace the 10K first.

We still need the Parameters for your tank, because there could be a new short term issue outside of being moved that made your nem upset, but I would lean towards lighting definitely in the long term.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back