Green carpet anemone check up, should I be concerned

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I have been a bit concerned about my large anenome, he has moved two large rocks out of the way (nearly crushing himself in the process) one side of his body is a little light, and he seems to not respond to good as aggressively, also he seems a little deflated in my opinion. Anyone have any thoughts, btw these photos are on three separate days.

IMG_2902.jpeg 71774125879__92A9F11C-36A4-4A6C-8384-CB49FE6FF6C7.jpeg image.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN

Not sure what is going on with this nem but I know early treatment improves prognosis when it is needed.

How long have you had this anemone?
3 months

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it looks terribly bad but I don’t keep carpet nems so I linked a treatment article that you can digest in case you need it now or later.

I tagged OrionN because he’s got the experience that I don’t and that you may need?

There are other people who keep these things but my brain is at a funeral atm.

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it looks terribly bad but I don’t keep carpet nems so I linked a treatment article that you can digest in case you need it now or later.

I tagged OrionN because he’s got the experience that I don’t and that you may need?

There are other people who keep these things but my brain is at a funeral atm.
Thanks for the info

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really looks just to be starved. I don't know if it's light starved or food starved but he isn't happy.
I feed two large shrimp per week, it can’t be food but the tank is running on a current USA light, maybe I could add a refugium light(white light) I have laying around?

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a higher quality light for carpet anemones. Adding another light isn’t necessarily going to do much unless it’s giving adequate par and spectrum.
So the light I could add on could do the trick it’s called a “ life guard aquatic 5” full spectrum”. Maybe this would work if I had it on for some time during the day. Would this work?

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would work in time. Couple hours at first amd work up over a few weeks. Start at maybe 3 or 3 hours and then move up an hour a week till you get to 7 or 8
Slightly off topic but sill important, I’m worried if I add light my algae will become a larger issue on the sand bed, and my conch seems to be buried in the same spot for a week with just his eye out. I’m hoping these factors don’t cause an outbreak in algae

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic but sill important, I’m worried if I add light my algae will become a larger issue on the sand bed, and my conch seems to be buried in the same spot for a week with just his eye out. I’m hoping these factors don’t cause an outbreak in algae
Once and if that becomes a problem we'll help you solve it. It might not be an issue. Nutrient imbalance is usually the problem with the algae. Also, don't be afraid of having algae, it's a normal process that can be addressed. Your goal is to keep animals alive, they don't care if they have to live next to algae vs dying in a pristine tank. If you want to keep that nem in good health and add other corals, I would definitely add a serious light to the setup. At least something like viparspectra. Also, I think you'll like your tank much better with that light on.

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once and if that becomes a problem we'll help you solve it. It might not be an issue. Nutrient imbalance is usually the problem with the algae. Also, don't be afraid of having algae, it's a normal process that can be addressed. Your goal is to keep animals alive, they don't care if they have to live next to algae vs dying in a pristine tank. If you want to keep that nem in good health and add other corals, I would definitely add a serious light to the setup. At least something like viparspectra. Also, I think you'll like your tank much better with that light on.
Thanks for the input, my mind is made I will be adding a light regardless of algae, but I am still curious as to why my conch has been sleeping on the job FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, my mind is made I will be adding a light regardless of algae, but I am still curious as to why my conch has been sleeping on the job FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK.
it is hard to tell but it could very well be that he is starving and there is nothing for him to eat around the tank. They don’t always eat that pink stuff on the sand. Do you might want to feed him directly to keep him alive for the future. Or there may be other reasons.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back