Green Chromis Bullied

bearlytame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved a 150 gallon aquarium from someone who was getting rid of theirs, and I'm still in the process of getting everything set up on that. In the mean time, I have the fish from the aquarium in a 20 gallon quarantine tank until my chemistry in the big tank is stable. Unfortunately, over the last few days, one of my green chromis has been injured. I'm not sure who the instigator is, so I've removed the injured one and placed him in a small 2.5 gallon tank until I can get something bigger set up.

He was housed with two tomato clowns and 2 green chromis (total of 5 fish). He has a pretty large lesion on his head, and he's extremely stressed (partially because I just chased him around with a net and moved him to a new place).

Is there anything I should treat him with? Should I keep him separated? Should I push up my timeline of getting everybody back in the big tank?

I've had the liverock in the big aquarium since last Thursday, and I just added some Turbostart yesterday.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene Blue is the old standby for injuries as a 30 minute bath. But I prefer to follow that with Ruby Reef Rally in the QT. It has both antibiotic and antiseptic qualities.

Best of luck with your new tank :)

OP
OP
bearlytame

bearlytame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the injured chromis (sorry for the bad quality)

20190402_112356.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with MB bath as a good "first response". Otherwise, good water quality, frequent small feedings, and keep an eye out for signs of infection (red or white patches/streaks, heavy breathing, strange markings or growths) Melafix dosed in the QT could also be helpful, provided there is no actual infection present.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved a 150 gallon aquarium from someone who was getting rid of theirs, and I'm still in the process of getting everything set up on that. In the mean time, I have the fish from the aquarium in a 20 gallon quarantine tank until my chemistry in the big tank is stable. Unfortunately, over the last few days, one of my green chromis has been injured. I'm not sure who the instigator is, so I've removed the injured one and placed him in a small 2.5 gallon tank until I can get something bigger set up.

He was housed with two tomato clowns and 2 green chromis (total of 5 fish). He has a pretty large lesion on his head, and he's extremely stressed (partially because I just chased him around with a net and moved him to a new place).

Is there anything I should treat him with? Should I keep him separated? Should I push up my timeline of getting everybody back in the big tank?

I've had the liverock in the big aquarium since last Thursday, and I just added some Turbostart yesterday.
I had 4 blue/green chromis and 1. (largest of the 4), turned bully and killed 2 before I could get him out. IMO, I would keep him separated. I’m not sure about treatment. Take a look at these threads. Definitely find some good info
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

OP
OP
bearlytame

bearlytame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene Blue is the old standby for injuries as a 30 minute bath. But I prefer to follow that with Ruby Reef Rally in the QT. It has both antibiotic and antiseptic qualities.

Best of luck with your new tank :)

What concentration would you suggest for the methylene blue bath? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information about leaving it in the QT tank for several days, vs a high concentration short-duration bath.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene blue is best used as a 30 minute bath. That's why I suggested you use Ruby Reef Rally in your QT as a follow up. Dose as directed on each mfg's container suggests as their concentrations can change and vary a bit from mfg to mfg and over time.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back