Fairy wrasse injured and cannot move one pectoral fin

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Any medics able to take a look at my Cirrhilabrus brunneus fairy wrasse? It was injured just recently. The tank sits behind my office desk and the wrasse must have been injured just half an hour ago, max. Was swimming very actively while I fed about 45 min ago. I can imagine that the female clownfish finally caught him or bumped him into something. @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal do you mind looking at the videos and letting me know possible course of action? Prognosis? I am currently considering catching him with a net (if possible) and moving him to an acclimation box for shelter and direct feeding. It isn't in an easy place to catch with a tupper, but I can try. Or should I leave him alone?

Let me know if any other ideas. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

Any medics able to take a look at my Cirrhilabrus brunneus fairy wrasse? It was injured just recently. The tank sits behind my office desk and the wrasse must have been injured just half an hour ago, max. Was swimming very actively while I fed about 45 min ago. I can imagine that the female clownfish finally caught him or bumped him into something. @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal do you mind looking at the videos and letting me know possible course of action? Prognosis? I am currently considering catching him with a net (if possible) and moving him to an acclimation box for shelter and direct feeding. It isn't in an easy place to catch with a tupper, but I can try. Or should I leave him alone?

Yes - injury and may be a bite injury. What other fish are in the tank with it?
While this can and should heal on its own, Have on hand, Seachem neoplex or kanaplex should area become red or sore and applied in a separate treatment tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would consider moving the fish to a larger tank - and treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic - since to me the clamped fin suggest injury - the cloudiness could be an infection - though no clear evidence of that here but - IMHO the antibiotic would be a good idea

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Looks like there may also be some damage in front of the caudal fin?
Isolation would be warranted, I wonder if the six line tagged it?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - injury and may be a bite injury. What other fish are in the tank with it?
While this can and should heal on its own, Have on hand, Seachem neoplex or kanaplex should area become red or sore and applied in a separate treatment tank
Dusky fairy wrasse (C. brunneus, injured), tailspot blenny (peaceful but fiesty), 2x occelaris clowns (female bullies), yellow Halichoeres wrasse (minds his business), blue star leopard wrasse (peaceful), yasha shrimp goby (minds its business), exquisite firefish (stays in cave, hides from female clown), 2x pink streak wrasse (exceptionally peaceful).

Looks like there may also be some damage in front of the caudal fin?
Isolation would be warranted, I wonder if the six line tagged it?
That was a pink streak. They're only a nightmare to baby brine shrimp. See above stocking. I think it would be the female clownfish. She chases the C. brunneus and the firefish when they are in the open.

This happened while I had my back turned a couple of hours ago, so I will go ahead and order some Kanaplex.

I tried to catch the brunneus, but turns out it is still lightning fast and was able to hide under rocks that I could not get to. Failed miserably. I will try again in the AM if it is still OK.

Long term plan was to relocate the clowns. May have to move that up.

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dusky fairy wrasse (C. brunneus, injured), tailspot blenny (peaceful but fiesty), 2x occelaris clowns (female bullies), yellow Halichoeres wrasse (minds his business), blue star leopard wrasse (peaceful), yasha shrimp goby (minds its business), exquisite firefish (stays in cave, hides from female clown), 2x pink streak wrasse (exceptionally peaceful).

That was a pink streak. They're only a nightmare to baby brine shrimp. See above stocking. I think it would be the female clownfish. She chases the C. brunneus and the firefish when they are in the open.

This happened while I had my back turned a couple of hours ago, so I will go ahead and order some Kanaplex.

I tried to catch the brunneus, but turns out it is still lightning fast and was able to hide under rocks that I could not get to. Failed miserably. I will try again in the AM if it is still OK.

Long term plan was to relocate the clowns. May have to move that up.

Thanks!
6 line and/or clowns are suspects

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! I came in today and the brunneus is out swimming and using it's pectoral fin. It is still being chased by the female occelaris clown, so I'll have to deal with that, but looks like it isn't crippled and is eating.

Thanks for the fast responses! I have Kanaplex ordered from Amazon and I will keep an eye on the fish for any signs of infection. Catching it will be a challenge, but I will respond quickly if it looks like it's sick.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She did it again! Just happened again, and this time it looks like she (the clown) got more tissue:

I still can't catch the fairy wrasse, but I imprisoned the aggressor.
1709688799078.jpeg

Hopefully the wrasse has a second recovery and doesn't get infected until Thursday--looks like the kanaplex arrives then.

@Jay Hemdal In the event that I cannot get the wrasse out, can Kanaplex be used to treat in the display tank? Or is there another preferred in-tank treatment for wounds that get infected?

Thank you again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She did it again! Just happened again, and this time it looks like she (the clown) got more tissue:

I still can't catch the fairy wrasse, but I imprisoned the aggressor.
1709688799078.jpeg

Hopefully the wrasse has a second recovery and doesn't get infected until Thursday--looks like the kanaplex arrives then.

@Jay Hemdal In the event that I cannot get the wrasse out, can Kanaplex be used to treat in the display tank? Or is there another preferred in-tank treatment for wounds that get infected?

Thank you again!
Using antibiotics in a display tank is problematic. There is a good probability that beneficial bacteria will be killed along with the pathogens.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back