Sudden Clown Injury, Royal Gramma spots

andrew2937

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’m pretty new to reef tanks but care a lot about these fish and would greatly appreciate some help here! 2 issues:

1) Royal gramma: tail and pectoral fins have had the almost imperceptible clear/maybe white spots. Pectoral spots seem to come and go (sand?). The fish started flashing every few minutes about 3 weeks ago. Sometimes every like 30 seconds and then may go a while without flashing rocks etc. I noticed his tail seems a bit frayed. Fish has been eating fine and is out and about besides the flashing.

I finally decided to QT and treat him last night. I couldn’t catch him. I wanted to do something about this before traveling for the holidays. One possibility from my research was flukes and it sounds like prazipro is considered safe for DTs so I decided to try it (removed everything as suggested, power head running, added an air stone. Dosed for 35 gal in a 45 gal tank = accounting for water level/rocks etc)

2) I just started it like an hour ago and found my favorite clown suddenly has a huge spot of damage on him. Pictures included. I’m thinking he could have flashed really hard and hurt himself? Or another fish bit him?

Any strong opinions on what’s going on with the Royal gramma?

What’s my way forward on the clown? Do I need to isolate and treat for bacteria?

… just as I was about to post: damaged clown bit the larger flasher wrasse in front of me to the point I saw scales come off (never seen that in my life before). I’m guessing the wrasse bit the clown earlier?… IMG_2115.png IMG_2116.png IMG_2122.png IMG_2123.png IMG_2124.png

Attachments

• IMG_2114.mov
    65.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t open video on my phone but first assure good water quality and gramm
Hi everyone, I’m pretty new to reef tanks but care a lot about these fish and would greatly appreciate some help here! 2 issues:

1) Royal gramma: tail and pectoral fins have had the almost imperceptible clear/maybe white spots. Pectoral spots seem to come and go (sand?). The fish started flashing every few minutes about 3 weeks ago. Sometimes every like 30 seconds and then may go a while without flashing rocks etc. I noticed his tail seems a bit frayed. Fish has been eating fine and is out and about besides the flashing.

I finally decided to QT and treat him last night. I couldn’t catch him. I wanted to do something about this before traveling for the holidays. One possibility from my research was flukes and it sounds like prazipro is considered safe for DTs so I decided to try it (removed everything as suggested, power head running, added an air stone. Dosed for 35 gal in a 45 gal tank = accounting for water level/rocks etc)

2) I just started it like an hour ago and found my favorite clown suddenly has a huge spot of damage on him. Pictures included. I’m thinking he could have flashed really hard and hurt himself? Or another fish bit him?

Any strong opinions on what’s going on with the Royal gramma?

What’s my way forward on the clown? Do I need to isolate and treat for bacteria?

… just as I was about to post: damaged clown bit the larger flasher wrasse in front of me to the point I saw scales come off (never seen that in my life before). I’m guessing the wrasse bit the clown earlier?… IMG_2115.png IMG_2116.png IMG_2122.png IMG_2123.png IMG_2124.png
Can’t open video on my phone but grammas are susceptible to flukes and even brook which in the pics may be the case with yours

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gramma I see little, I see no dots on fins.
Gramma flashing can also be a territory marking flash, this fish very common as it wants to own a rock.

Looks like you found, who bit who.

OP
OP
A

andrew2937

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I completed two rounds of prazipro, did some water changes etc. All of the fish are alive and don’t appear to have any issues. The clown ended up getting a dark spot where that bite mark was. It was very dark and now it’s starting to get closer to his normal orange. No more aggression between the clowns/wrasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back