Royal gramma death in quarantine tank

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I recently got a royal gramma, lawnmower blenny, and yellow striped goby and put them in a 10 gallon for quarantine a few days ago, unfortunately the royal gramma died today/last night. The lawnmower blenny has been here longer than the other fish and has been here for around a week or so and is very shy but seems to not be sick

the 10 gallon has a 5 gallon sump and the tank had Brooklynella in it at one point about a month and a half ago. I treated the tank and waited the fallow period. the salinity is around 1.024 last I checked and my nitrate was around 0. The only sudden change or cause for anything that isnt disease related is I added the sump a couple days ago and it dropped the temperature for a little bit and the fish seemed stressed during that. All of the fish before going into my tank had a dip in ruby rally pro for around 30+ minutes before being added to the tank without any of the lfs water.

Included will be some pictures of the yellow striped goby and the body of the royal gramma, the pictures of the royal gramma are the 2 different sides of it. The yellow striped goby is moving around but it stood still for a little bit for that video, not eating though from what I saw

1710100066361.png

1710100495305.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello so I recently got a royal gramma, lawnmower blenny, and yellow striped goby and put them in a 10 gallon for quarantine a few days ago, unfortunately the royal gramma died today/last night. The lawnmower blenny has been here longer than the other fish and has been here for around a week or so and is very shy but seems to not be sick

the 10 gallon has a 5 gallon sump and the tank had Brooklynella in it at one point about a month and a half ago. I treated the tank and waited the fallow period. the salinity is around 1.024 last I checked and my nitrate was around 0. The only sudden change or cause for anything that isnt disease related is I added the sump a couple days ago and it dropped the temperature for a little bit and the fish seemed stressed during that. All of the fish before going into my tank had a dip in ruby rally pro for around 30+ minutes before being added to the tank without any of the lfs water.

Included will be some pictures of the yellow striped goby and the body of the royal gramma, the pictures of the royal gramma are the 2 different sides of it. The yellow striped goby is moving around but it stood still for a little bit for that video, not eating though from what I saw

1710100066361.png

1710100495305.png
Will be hard to determine with a dead fish but I see what looks like bite marks which could be post-death
Any loss of color or appetite before this loss?
Any yawning like behavior, heavy breathing or hiding?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Additionally, are you treating with medication (copper, etc) - or observation only? Just FYI - its usually consider 'best' to keep groups of fish in QT until its done - then add more, as compared to buying fish and adding them in with the others in different days/groups. What is in the sump?

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be hard to determine with a dead fish but I see what looks like bite marks which could be post-death
the royal gramma was definetely hiding a lot and only came out every once in a while. I do believe it ate but not too often. I didnt get to observe it in too much detail because it was hiding so much but I didnt see any yawning. I only had it for around 3 days

Additionally, are you treating with medication (copper, etc) - or observation only? Just FYI - its usually consider 'best' to keep groups of fish in QT until its done - then add more, as compared to buying fish and adding them in with the others in different days/groups. What is in the sump?
I am not treating with any medication at the moment and yeah that makes sense. They all came from the same lfs in the same tank system and it was only a few days apart so I decided to add them in the same tank together.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would yawning indicate? My goby in quarantine occasional "yawns" but it's very infrequent. No heavy breathing or hiding though. Sorry, don't mean to hijack this threat, just curious. He is currently in copper and will get a prazi treatment after copper is done.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What would yawning indicate? My goby in quarantine occasional "yawns" but it's very infrequent. No heavy breathing or hiding though. Sorry, don't mean to hijack this threat, just curious. He is currently in copper and will get a prazi treatment after copper is done.
Flukes. And PS - as long as you have access to the medications - and the fish are in QT, why not treat with copper/prazipro - per the protocol at the top of the forum

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes. And PS - as long as you have access to the medications - and the fish are in QT, why not treat with copper/prazipro - per the protocol at the top of the forum
That is the protocol I am following. I am currently treating with copper, and then I will treat with Prazi. The protocol calls for copper treatment followed by prazi, or am I misunderstanding something?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
FLikes and in some cases velvet
Guess I need help answering lately

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your talking to me. I dont have prazipro and copper ive heard can permanently make your tank dangerous to inverts. I was hoping to use this tank in the future for a display rather than just a quarantine.

im also still really confused on what could be going on but I guess theres not too much to go off of

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
if your talking to me. I dont have prazipro and copper ive heard can permanently make your tank dangerous to inverts. I was hoping to use this tank in the future for a display rather than just a quarantine.

im also still really confused on what could be going on but I guess theres not too much to go off of
All treatment should be done in a separate treatment tank leaving tank and inverts without fish for 4-6 weeks to allow and disease to die off without a host fish

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All treatment should be done in a separate treatment tank leaving tank and inverts without fish for 4-6 weeks to allow and disease to die off without a host fish
so I should treat the fish is what your saying? I dont have another quarantine tank so im not quite sure what to do and what to treat for.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so I should treat the fish is what your saying? I dont have another quarantine tank so im not quite sure what to do and what to treat for.
Ideally , all fish should be treated or at minimum given a ruby rally pro bath in a clean aerated container for 60 mins. When acquiring fish, assume all fish have something

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally , all fish should be treated or at minimum given a ruby rally pro bath in a clean aerated container for 60 mins. When acquiring fish, assume all fish have something
Alright, I will try to treat them with ruby rally pro in a bath and perhaps in the tank too and see if I can get some prazipro and also treat with that. Hopefully this will prevent anything from happening further.

My only question is how long should I wait before introducing new fish to this aquarium as I was wanting to use it as a display tank but for now was using it as a quarantine

If I am treating it do I need to wait as long? Perhaps any new fish I get would benefit from the medication once it’s free of disease?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If assuming a
Alright, I will try to treat them with ruby rally pro in a bath and perhaps in the tank too and see if I can get some prazipro and also treat with that. Hopefully this will prevent anything from happening further.

My only question is how long should I wait before introducing new fish to this aquarium as I was wanting to use it as a display tank but for now was using it as a quarantine

If I am treating it do I need to wait as long? Perhaps any new fish I get would benefit from the medication once it’s free of disease?
In assuming a disease existed, at least 30 days but no sooner than 14

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes - you would not use copper in a tank you wanted to put invertebrates in - and
That is the protocol I am following. I am currently treating with copper, and then I will treat with Prazi. The protocol calls for copper treatment followed by prazi, or am I misunderstanding something?
I was talking to the OP - who was 'Cheems'. ?The protocol calls for copper followed by Prazipro

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FLikes and in some cases velvet
Guess I need help answering lately
Well no problem then, my guys are in copper and will get prazi when they are done. I have noticed there has been no yawning since starting copper. Maybe a coincidence, maybe they were carrying velvet. Glad they are in copper just in case.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well no problem then, my guys are in copper and will get prazi when they are done. I have noticed there has been no yawning since starting copper. Maybe a coincidence, maybe they were carrying velvet. Glad they are in copper just in case.
Remember to monitor water quality and add aeration

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately the yellow striped goby has gotten worse despite me treating the tank with ruby rally pro, I will include a picture but it has white splotches all over it and it doesn’t look good. I am thinking this is brooklynella and I am going to do a fw dip and get it into a clean tank and see what I can do

My question is should I move the lawnmower blenny who has seemingly no symptoms
image.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gramma may not have enjoyed the 10g, it’s small for this fish who wants the claim a good size territory.

Maybe the result of real estate dispute?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back