Adorned Wrasse doesn't like new Fairy Wrasse

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a Long Finned Fairy Wrasse and my Adorned Wrasse, who is supposed to be (and has been) one of the most relaxed of the Halichoeres, doesn't like him at all. The Adorned likes every single other fish in the tank, even my tiny Yellow Clown Goby. He doesn't mind the new scissortail dart fish or Court Jester Goby either who arrived with the Wrasse. The new Fairy Wrasse was very scared and not swimming well when he reappeared from hiding after the first day or so and has kept to the upper right corner of the tank. It was a big mistake not to put the Fairy Wrasse in an acclimation box but live and learn I guess. The Fairy Wrase who I will call 'the new wrasse' eats voraciously. He is now looking way better and swimming way better and when the tank is fed, comes out of the corner and eats well. The Adorned ignores him during feeding even if the new wrasse gets right next to him, but the second that is over, he immediately charges him and chases the new wrasse back to his corner.

Yesterday I put a mirror in the opposite side of the tank which so far has stopped the constant charging and bullying 75% of the time. The new wrasse is now coming out to the front of the tank more out from his corner and most of the time the Adorned ignores him and is transfixed by the mirror evil twin. My Midas Blenny and Coral Beauty are also going nuts with the mirror too by the way! If the new wrasses gets too adventurous and too close, which happens maybe every so often, the Adorned forget the mirror for a second and chases him back to the corner. He's nipped him a few times but not done too much damage. It's possible the back fin got a bit tattered but more or less looks fine.

Question is, should I have hope that this will resolve itself and how long should I keep the mirror in? I'd hate to have to catch the new wrasse and put him in an acclimation box but if that is needed I can try. Anything else I should be doing to help this situation? First time I've had any tank agresssion issues.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone saw this or has advice but my update is that the Fairy Wrasse keeps getting bolder and bolder getting closer and closer to the Adorned Wrasse, not caring as much what the Adorned is doing. The Adorned stays by the mirror still most of the time, but every so often (maybe 4 or 5 times an hour) will chase across the tank and drive the Fairy Wrasse back to the corner...rinse and repeat over and over. We are on Day 2.5 now.

Last edited:

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated. I want to get an Adorned Wrasse since I like the look and it is smaller than and seemingly less aggressive than the other Halichoeres

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated. I want to get an Adorned Wrasse since I like the look and it is smaller than and seemingly less aggressive than the other Halichoeres
Latest update is that I took the mirrow away today after 5 days and so far, the Adorned is mostly leaving the Long Finned Fairy Wrasse alone. He's chased him a few times but they've also swam side by side and the Adorned completely ignored the Fairy Wrasse. He's also gone back to where the mirror was looking for his evil twin which I find amazing that they can remember stuff like that. Anyway, so far it seems the mirror trick has allowed the new wrasse to become more confident swiming around the tank and took it off the mind of the Adorned.

Hopefully this stays this way. The Adorned is completely passive and peaceful to all other fish in the tank.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update is that I took the mirrow away today after 5 days and so far, the Adorned is mostly leaving the Long Finned Fairy Wrasse alone. He's chased him a few times but they've also swam side by side and the Adorned completely ignored the Fairy Wrasse. He's also gone back to where the mirror was looking for his evil twin which I find amazing that they can remember stuff like that. Anyway, so far it seems the mirror trick has allowed the new wrasse to become more confident swiming around the tank and took it off the mind of the Adorned.

Hopefully this stays this way. The Adorned is completely passive and peaceful to all other fish in the tank.
How are your wrasses doing now? I assume they are still alive!

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your wrasses doing now? I assume they are still alive!
They are fine! That mirror trick totally worked. Now the Adorned Wrasse completely ignores the Fairy Wrasse (and everyone else too). It gave the Fairy Wrasse time to heal up from transport and gain confidence. The only aggression at all towards the Fairy Wrasse is by the Midas Blenny, but he half heartedly chases him a couple times a week and bails so it doesn't appear to be an issue as of now. Plus the Wrasse is way faster! :grinning-squinting-face:

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear! I bought some cheap small plastic mirrors and will plan to tape a few up ahead of my next intro of livestock. Still waiting for my first set of wrasse from Dr. Reef. I hope they don't cause too much trouble :p

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came from there too as did all my fish. I think if introduced at the same time it won't be an issue. I got a cheap small camping mirror with an eyelet on Amazon along with some suction cups with a hook.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit that I would never have expected a Halichoeres and a fairy to not get a long but it is why I recommend using an acclimation box if you can. However it sounds like things are working out!
Exactly. And especially a chill Halichoeres like an Adorned. I didn't even think about using my acclimation box but immediately regretted it when the Adorned attacked. Luckily he never hurt the Fairy Wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. And especially a chill Halichoeres like an Adorned. I didn't even think about using my acclimation box but immediately regretted it when the Adorned attacked. Luckily he never hurt the Fairy Wrasse.
Do you have a photo of the ‘adorned’ Wrasse?

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from a few months ago. He's bigger now.

Attachments

• 20230920160726_IMG_9180.JPG
    20230920160726_IMG_9180.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 37

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from a few months ago. He's bigger now.
That is a true Cosmetus, the reason I wondered about a photo is because I’ve seen a much more aggressive species labelled as these.

Honestly, my male radiant was a bit of a bully when I introduced new wrasses. For some reason he accepted my female radiant but didn’t accept new fairies/flashers at first.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a true Cosmetus, the reason I wondered about a photo is because I’ve seen a much more aggressive species labelled as these.

Honestly, my male radiant was a bit of a bully when I introduced new wrasses. For some reason he accepted my female radiant but didn’t accept new fairies/flashers at first.
I have a question about the fairy wrasse. He is a Ruby Longfinned Fairy Wrasse and when I first put him in, pre-bullying he had his fins displayed fully for like 10 minutes until he burried himself somewhere, but since the bullying and even now after it has stopped (aside from a few runs by the Midas) he always has them all tucked in tight. He's eating like crazy and swimming everywhere and looks good otherwise. Is that normal? I'd love to see those long fins!!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the fairy wrasse. He is a Ruby Longfinned Fairy Wrasse and when I first put him in, pre-bullying he had his fins displayed fully for like 10 minutes until he burried himself somewhere, but since the bullying and even now after it has stopped (aside from a few runs by the Midas) he always has them all tucked in tight. He's eating like crazy and swimming everywhere and looks good otherwise. Is that normal? I'd love to see those long fins!!!
Sign it’s happy and also has no competition. If you want it to display you need another fairy or a flasher.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back