Tang - wrasse aggression

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a waterbox 180 which has a 130 gal display. I have a djardini sailfin tang, (4”) a yellow tang, a tominii tang, 2 clown fish, 3 sand dwelling wrasses (1 leopard; and 2 anampses ) a royal grama and 6 thread fin cardinals.
Djardini tang is definitely the tank boss.
I recently added a grail wrasse to to my display (v. Expensive… identity of wrasses kept secret on purpose ). New Wrasse seemed very stressed and was always confined to top corners of the tank. I spent some time observing and the djardini tang was Charging the wrasse whenever he laid his eyes on it. I did manage to quickly trap and remove the tang into a qt tank. New wrasse quickly settled in and is hanging around the rock work and is able to feed and behave regularly.
Question is: do you think that I need to permanently rehome my tang, or do you think a short time out will sort him out and help reduce his aggression towards the wrasse ?

Let me know if you’ve got some advice in these types of situations

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naming the new wrasse will help the wrasse people figure out of the wrasse is suitable for your tank… @Slocke @i cant think
And if it’s an Anampses and grail wrasse it is either a Lennardi, femininus, or chrysocephalus. First two are in the 4 digit range and the third is only legal if you collect yourself.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your feedback. I’ve decided to rehome the sailfin tang. Tank is generally much more peaceful without him. I also knew that o would eventually have to rehome him as they grow quite large - I just didn’t appreciate how fast they grow. He went from tiny to tankboss in 1.5 years…. Thanks again for your help

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back