Adorned Wrasse hero to zero

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick wrasse question gang, I have a smaller reef setup with a baby adorned wrasse and a baby mccosker wrasse. They have been together for about 6 months the adorned has slightly outgrown the mccoskers and i just noticed bullying him to one corner of the tank. Every bit of research i have done said these 2 should be fine with each other but again (every fish can have a demon side).

The question i have IS im moving them into a 135 6 foot tank in about 2-3 months hopefully getting water in it this weekend to start cycle. Is this something you think would subside once they hit the larger tank ? or do i need to drop the fish trap in and yoink him out ?

ty !

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept adorned. Melanurus and chrysus have been very chill in a 125. I suspect it will be fine in a 6 foot 135.

What tank are they in now?

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept adorned. Melanurus and chrysus have been very chill in a 125. I suspect it will be fine in a 6 foot 135.

I have an adorned in my 75 gallon and it would not tolerate a chrysus that were introduced at the same time. Both fish were the same size about 2 inches. It doesn’t bother the canary blenny that’s the only other fish that’s the same shape. It seems much more aggressive fish than a melanarus. It’s also faster growing than a melanarus. 75 gallons seems to be the minimum size thank for this fish. I’ve noticed it fighting its reflection, and sometimes when I put my hand in the water it will nip.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an adorned in my 75 gallon and it would not tolerate a chrysus that were introduced at the same time. Both fish were the same size about 2 inches. It doesn’t bother the canary blenny that’s the only other fish that’s the same shape. It seems much more aggressive fish than a melanarus. It’s also faster growing than a melanarus. 75 gallons seems to be the minimum size thank for this fish. I’ve noticed it fighting its reflection, and sometimes when I put my hand in the water it will nip.
Sorry that yours is being a pain. Fish are individuals, for sure. I do suspect that this would be an exception rather than the normal behavior. But, like I said, I haven't kept one.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick wrasse question gang, I have a smaller reef setup with a baby adorned wrasse and a baby mccosker wrasse. They have been together for about 6 months the adorned has slightly outgrown the mccoskers and i just noticed bullying him to one corner of the tank. Every bit of research i have done said these 2 should be fine with each other but again (every fish can have a demon side).

The question i have IS im moving them into a 135 6 foot tank in about 2-3 months hopefully getting water in it this weekend to start cycle. Is this something you think would subside once they hit the larger tank ? or do i need to drop the fish trap in and yoink him out ?

ty !
There’s no guarantee with any fish but those two should get along. I suggest getting an acclimation box and imprisoning the adorned with the flasher in the main tank for a week or so. Unfortunately every now and then a fish just decides it hates another fish for no good reason though.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There’s no guarantee with any fish but those two should get along. I suggest getting an acclimation box and imprisoning the adorned with the flasher in the main tank for a week or so. Unfortunately every now and then a fish just decides it hates another fish for no good reason though.
Yeah i have a box ill try to trap him tonight with a fish trap and then try to move him over. Hes a real pain in the butt to catch the second he sees a net or anything in the water he dives into the sand bed. (POOF)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i have a box ill try to trap him tonight with a fish trap and then try to move him over. Hes a real pain in the butt to catch the second he sees a net or anything in the water he dives into the sand bed. (POOF)
If you know where it sleeps you can try and scoop it out in the night. Otherwise traps work well with wrasse

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they are currently sitting in a 30/35 something gallon tank that's like 32 inches long while the big 135 is being setup.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are currently sitting in a 30/35 something gallon tank that's like 32 inches long while the big 135 is being setup.
To me, it is reasonable that the adorned will be aggressive in the 30-something gallon but will be chill in the new 6 foot 135.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back