Adorned Wrasse plump belly & Pistol Shrimp MIA

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the last 4 days that my new Adorned Wrasse (Halichoeres cosmetus) has a bit of a bulged belly. When I got him about 3 weeks ago he looked normal but seemed to take a good 2 weeks to start eating anything. His belly is not huge like I've seen on some photos people post, but slightly plump on both sides. At the same time, I realized I have not seen or heard my Tiger Pistol shrimp in about a week. I usually hear him pop every night and he comes out when I feed. Putting two and two together makes me think the Adorned Wrasse ate him. The shrimp was about a year old and big. I'm guessing he was about as long as the Wrasse, so maybe 3 inches.

Is it probable that the Wrasse ate the Pistol Shrimp? He is eating pellets and Mysis now and he had not been until this week. He seems perfectly fine besides the belly. The Wrasse seems just fine with everyone else in the tank, ignoring everyone, even the tiny yellow clown goby. I didn't think an Adorned Wrasse could eat a fully grown Pistol Shrimp if that's what happened! Do I need to do anything about the Wrasse's belly? How long will it take to digest? Hopefully he isn't constipated. He was professionally quarantined as was everything else in the tank so I don't think it could be another health issue besides constipation or a shrimp in his belly!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a photo or video of your wrasse so we can see its belly?

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few that I could get...he moves fast and hides when he sees the camera. haha. His bulge might be a bit smaller today as I have not fed them. In the 3rd photo of mostly the Midas, in the corner you get a good shot of the belly of the Adorned.

Sorry for the state of my GHA...still recovering from dinos and high nutrients to help out compete them. :)

20230920160728_IMG_9181 (1).JPG 20230920160833_IMG_9187.JPG 20230920161307_IMG_9207.JPG

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks fine to me. Brine shrimp have a laxative effect, you can feed her some if you think she's a little fuller than usual.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks fine to me. Brine shrimp have a laxative effect, you can feed her some if you think she's a little fuller than usual.
I'll feed them brine tonight and keep an eye on the belly. Hopefully its just from lots of eating!!
I guess as far as the Pistol Shrimp goes, maybe it is hiding, but not making its popping noise still has me thinking the wrasse ate it or it died. I did see the wrasse go in one of the holes to where the shimp lives along with the engineer goby a few times over the last two weeks.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Pistol Shrimp is alive! He came out shoveling sand after the lights went out. He's keeping quiet though for some reason.

The Wrasse ate a ton today and looks more bloated again. I fed brine so hopefully that will unclog her. I may try to feed some peas soaked in garlic if it doesn't start pooping.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Pistol Shrimp is alive! He came out shoveling sand after the lights went out. He's keeping quiet though for some reason.

The Wrasse ate a ton today and looks more bloated again. I fed brine so hopefully that will unclog her. I may try to feed some peas soaked in garlic if it doesn't start pooping.
Glad your pistol shrimp reappeared! Keep us posted on how your wrasse is doing.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How aggressive an eater is the wrasse? This happens to my babi as she eats as fsst and as much as she can. Thins out by the next feeding.
She didn't seem to eat the first two weeks I had her but was constantly prowling around looking for food. Then the last 5 days she's been going nuts eating a ton of mysis, pellets, flakes, eggs, etc... I haven't looked at her yet today as she was still hidden when I left for work. Last night the bulge was slightly bigger than the photos.

I have not seen her poop although to be honest I rarely see any of them doing that besides the Coral Beauty and the ginormous floating turds my huge Engineer Goby makes!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She didn't seem to eat the first two weeks I had her but was constantly prowling around looking for food. Then the last 5 days she's been going nuts eating a ton of mysis, pellets, flakes, eggs, etc... I haven't looked at her yet today as she was still hidden when I left for work. Last night the bulge was slightly bigger than the photos.

I have not seen her poop although to be honest I rarely see any of them doing that besides the Coral Beauty and the ginormous floating turds my huge Engineer Goby makes!
This is how my piggy Kuiter's leopard's belly looks after she eats... hopefully this makes you feel better about your wrasse

08092023.jpg

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed more brine after work and the Adorned ate a ton of it. I just looked now and it did the trick, no bulge! She did her thing it seems.

No clue why the Pistol isn't popping anymore but at least he's alive and coming out when the lights go out. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back