Adorned Wrasse sitting on sand

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Adorned Wrasse for 3 months and he's been great since day one. Eats like crazy and looks incredible. When I came up for lunch today and looked at the tank for the first time today, he was sitting on the sand on his belly in the 3" gap between my main rock structures under the arch right next to a Halloween Hermit. I could see sand moving as he was breathing and it didn't seem overly fast. He saw me and stayed sitting for maybe 10 seconds. By the time I stood up, he was swimming all over the place again and looks absolutely perfect. I fed, he went nuts as usual eating a ton and now he's swimming around as usual and looks great. Would it be normal for them to ever sit still on the sand? Maybe he was just coming out of the sand from sleeping?? He's never done this before.

On a different note, he also has often zipped around the tank right after I feed, swiping his side on the sand and it appears he is looking for what he might have stirred up. I know it sounds like flashing but he's been doing this for months and everyone and everything in the tank was pro quarantined. He doesn't have a single mark on him anywhere. I think he's trying to stir up food from the sand to eat more. Is that a common thing?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back