Fairy Wrasse have flukes?

bubba005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Longfin Fairy Wrasse has been lethargic, hiding, and with stress colors since I added him to my display tank 9 days ago. While he has maintained an appetite, I noticed him potentially flashing during dinner time and captured his behavior on video. Could this be flukes or something else or just stress from acclimation?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Longfin Fairy Wrasse has been lethargic, hiding, and with stress colors since I added him to my display tank 9 days ago. While he has maintained an appetite, I noticed him potentially flashing during dinner time and captured his behavior on video. Could this be flukes or something else or just stress from acclimation?

Stress from acclimation would have subsided after none days (or if severe enough, have killed the fish in the first few days). On-going stress issues can include tankmate aggression.

The fish still eating indicates that the stress isn't too high (yet). The flashing points to flukes. Pending additional information from the post that Jekyl made, you may need to dose the tank with praziquantel. Wrasse need a lot of oxygen, so when you dose that, you need to add air stones.

OP
OP
B

bubba005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress from acclimation would have subsided after none days (or if severe enough, have killed the fish in the first few days). On-going stress issues can include tankmate aggression.

The fish still eating indicates that the stress isn't too high (yet). The flashing points to flukes. Pending additional information from the post that Jekyl made, you may need to dose the tank with praziquantel. Wrasse need a lot of oxygen, so when you dose that, you need to add air stones.
I’ve narrowed down the issue to either being due to aggression from my Blue Reef Chromis or flukes. I’m going to start prazipro treatment and then if the Wrasse isn’t improved after that, I will remove the chromis at least temporarily

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back