Help diagnosing acute skin issue with orange back fairy wrasse

BenConrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I acquired this wrasse from the LFS on Sunday evening (~72 hours ago). He looked perfectly healthy and skin was clear. Before introducing him to my QT tank (20 gallon, established bio filter), I did a (prophylactic) Ruby Reef Rally bath (1tsp/gallon) for ~80 minutes. Copper power in the QT water started at 1.3ppm and have brought up to 1.5ppm, with intentions of getting to therapeutic 2.0ppm+ today (but held off).

He did fine through the RRR bath and all seemed good until this morning, when we noticed this skin lesion of some sort. The area seems a bit swollen with some skin sloughing off. I suspect an infection, possibly preceeded by an injury - but am not sure. Hopefully the pictures do it more justice than I can describe. This morning there was a mucus layer on top of this that later washed away. He has been eating frozen food since the first night we got him including throughout this evening. I don't see any noticeable labored breathing, but he not as actively swimming as before.

Hoping to get some help here on a diagnosis and recommended treatment plan. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-Ben

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg IMG_4656.JPG

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,
I acquired this wrasse from the LFS on Sunday evening (~72 hours ago). He looked perfectly healthy and skin was clear. Before introducing him to my QT tank (20 gallon, established bio filter), I did a (prophylactic) Ruby Reef Rally bath (1tsp/gallon) for ~80 minutes. Copper power in the QT water started at 1.3ppm and have brought up to 1.5ppm, with intentions of getting to therapeutic 2.0ppm+ today (but held off).

He did fine through the RRR bath and all seemed good until this morning, when we noticed this skin lesion of some sort. The area seems a bit swollen with some skin sloughing off. I suspect an infection, possibly preceeded by an injury - but am not sure. Hopefully the pictures do it more justice than I can describe. This morning there was a mucus layer on top of this that later washed away. He has been eating frozen food since the first night we got him including throughout this evening. I don't see any noticeable labored breathing, but he not as actively swimming as before.

Hoping to get some help here on a diagnosis and recommended treatment plan. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-Ben

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg IMG_4656.JPG
This is a significant injury and likely from dive=bombing into structures as they typically do. Treatment in a separate tank will be Seachem Kanaplex assuming it will heal well
What other fish in the tank with it and have you seen any aggression with others?

OP
OP
BenConrad

BenConrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @vetteguy53081. He has only been in my QT tank and no other fish in QT at the moment. Was hoping to get him through alone (given challenges I've had with wrasses in QT in past). I have some kanaplex on hand and will dose. Would a RRR bath tonight also be advised?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you @vetteguy53081. He has only been in my QT tank and no other fish in QT at the moment. Was hoping to get him through alone (given challenges I've had with wrasses in QT in past). I have some kanaplex on hand and will dose. Would a RRR bath tonight also be advised?
RRR bath would actually be a good start

OP
OP
BenConrad

BenConrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - this guy is doing quite well. Eating vigorously and overall color is improved. Beta glucan and Vita-chem have been incorporated into his food. Tissue definitely needs more time to heal, but the infected area looks healthier to me. He underwent a second RRR bath on Thursday night. May do so again tonight just to be safe. His QT water is medicated with Kanaplex and I'm following those instructions. Caused some cloudiness in the water, too be expected.

Wanted to note, I did have a plastic castle made for aquariums in this QT - added some interest given this tank is in our kitchen. The wrasse exclusively hid in the castle the first few nights. I have sinced removed it and noticed some quite sharp edges throughout the interior. Pure speculation, but thinking that castle could have been the cause of this injury.

20240202_174447.jpg 20240202_174503.jpg 20240202_174639.jpg 20240202_180850.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back