Help With Sailfin Diagnosis

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I got this sailfin tang Nov 24. Since having him he’s been in Copper Power and on the 4th I added General Cure because I believed another fish in QT with him had flukes. The last week he’s been very pale and appetite hasn’t been very good. He’s still ate some frozen but won’t touch the nori anymore. Last night I decided to transfer them to a new QT tank with no meds. I did a 30 min H2o2 bath before putting them in the new tank last night. After the bath there was a little white round mark on his cheek. This morning it’s no longer there. He accepted frozen this morning but still no nori. Today he’s been flashing and doing some weird stuff. Since he wouldn’t take nori I tried formula 2 green flakes and he ate that but one time he had the flake just hanging out of his mouth and wasn’t eating it. Almost like his mouth couldn’t close it was very strange. He’s also done some random spasm type behavior today. I am going on vacation tomorrow and would like to dose something today if needed. I was thinking something bacterial but when the spot disappeared I thought it was like how us humans get skin bloching from peroxide. His tailfin at the tip looks a little discolored and frayed . He’s got some HLLE but I think that’s normal for being in copper for 2 weeks. One other thing the frozen he’s been eating the last 3 days has been binded with General Cure per humblefishs recipe for internal parasites. I did that because the other fish in QT who died wasn’t eating and thought maybe there were internal parasites that General Cure didn’t get so I used focus and binded it. The Sailfin has ate it the last few days.

IMG_7072.png

Attachments

• IMG_7073.mov
    11.9 MB
  • IMG_7071.mov
    16.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright so I got this sailfin tang Nov 24. Since having him he’s been in Copper Power and on the 4th I added General Cure because I believed another fish in QT with him had flukes. The last week he’s been very pale and appetite hasn’t been very good. He’s still ate some frozen but won’t touch the nori anymore. Last night I decided to transfer them to a new QT tank with no meds. I did a 30 min H2o2 bath before putting them in the new tank last night. After the bath there was a little white round mark on his cheek. This morning it’s no longer there. He accepted frozen this morning but still no nori. Today he’s been flashing and doing some weird stuff. Since he wouldn’t take nori I tried formula 2 green flakes and he ate that but one time he had the flake just hanging out of his mouth and wasn’t eating it. Almost like his mouth couldn’t close it was very strange. He’s also done some random spasm type behavior today. I am going on vacation tomorrow and would like to dose something today if needed. I was thinking something bacterial but when the spot disappeared I thought it was like how us humans get skin bloching from peroxide. His tailfin at the tip looks a little discolored and frayed . He’s got some HLLE but I think that’s normal for being in copper for 2 weeks. One other thing the frozen he’s been eating the last 3 days has been binded with General Cure per humblefishs recipe for internal parasites. I did that because the other fish in QT who died wasn’t eating and thought maybe there were internal parasites that General Cure didn’t get so I used focus and binded it. The Sailfin has ate it the last few days.

IMG_7072.png
Looks like a result of nipping versus tail rot. Its a matter of who did it- What other occupants do you have in your tank?
Copper often blamed for HLLE and is likely from the water quality which often diminishes in a quarantine setting. Be sure to monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a result of nipping versus tail rot. Its a matter of who did it- What other occupants do you have in your tank?
Copper often blamed for HLLE and is likely from the water quality which often diminishes in a quarantine setting. Be sure to monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit
What about the appetite, spasms, flashing, etc?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What about the appetite, spasms, flashing, etc?
Can be a result of aggression from a tankmate. Please provide a 20-30 second video as a still pic wont reveal much

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7072.png
There are a bunch of issues going on here, it is going to be difficult for us to sort them out.

1) what was the peroxide dose?
2) Do not mix General Cure with food, it is not intended to be an oral medication. It contains praziquantel and metronidazole. Each of these can be dosed orally, but the doses are different. Both of these drugs are very bitter, and will put the fish off food if not dosed exactly right.
3) What other fish was this tang in with?
4) This is a different sailfin that you posted about before, did that one die?
5) Copper does not cause HLLE.
6) What is the copper power measuring at now?

Jay

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bunch of issues going on here, it is going to be difficult for us to sort them out.

1) what was the peroxide dose?
2) Do not mix General Cure with food, it is not intended to be an oral medication. It contains praziquantel and metronidazole. Each of these can be dosed orally, but the doses are different. Both of these drugs are very bitter, and will put the fish off food if not dosed exactly right.
3) What other fish was this tang in with?
4) This is a different sailfin that you posted about before, did that one die?
5) Copper does not cause HLLE.
6) What is the copper power measuring at now?

Jay
1. 20ml per gallon
3.- right now just a Firefish and Midas Blenny (was a small hippo but died a week ago)
4. Yes
5. No copper since I transferred to a new tank last night. Was at 2.25 before.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. 20ml per gallon
3.- right now just a Firefish and Midas Blenny (was a small hippo but died a week ago)
4. Yes
5. No copper since I transferred to a new tank last night. Was at 2.25 before.
I would get the copper back up to 2.25, in case the root cause of this is a protozoan.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back