Green clown goby

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with experience with a green clown goby? How often do they eat? What do they eat? I’ve got one and it seems it hides all the time. Got it last Friday. I barely see him so I’m not sure if he’s dead or what. Any info on these suckers? Lol

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide a lot, that is totally normal. Mine will dart out to get food and then take it back to his hiding spot. Naturally, they reside in acro colonies and hide in the branches. If you don't keep SPS, you could try to find a small acro skeleton and he might hide in there. Mine also hides in my leather coral a lot. It should get 'braver' as it get's more confident in the tank over time.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide a lot, that is totally normal. Mine will dart out to get food and then take it back to his hiding spot. Naturally, they reside in acro colonies and hide in the branches. If you don't keep SPS, you could try to find a small acro skeleton and he might hide in there. Mine also hides in my leather coral a lot. It should get 'braver' as it get's more confident in the tank over time.
Thank you

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they hide a lot. I used to feed mine frozen cyclops, it also eats baby brine shrimp, and micro pellets. Be careful if you have a hungry serpent star, these little fish sleep in the holes in the rocks and the star can catch it while it sleeps.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my little guy! He was so cute just hoping around the tank. He lived between my Xenia and would pester anything that swam near his hole. He would head it hermits till they turned around it was a good laugh. Lost him due to ich he brought into my tank.

They are nice fish if you have a small tank for them.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my little guy! He was so cute just hoping around the tank. He lived between my Xenia and would pester anything that swam near his hole. He would head it hermits till they turned around it was a good laugh. Lost him due to ich he brought into my tank.

They are nice fish if you have a small tank for them.
You think a 40G breeder is too big?

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one, and just like most fish that i have at the start, they hide. they are known for perching, but for the longest time, maybe 2 to 3 weeks, mine had a hiding spot in a small cave, within my macro algae. about a week ago, i found that he has been a bit more adventurous, and sat on top of one of my rocks. last weekend, i added a hammer coral, and as of yesterday, he has become way more adventurous. i found that he has taken a liking to my hammer coral, whether it is perching just underneath it, or actually sitting within it. i also see him move quite a bit more throughout the tank in general, now.

from the start, i never really had any issues feeding. i found that he is fine with feeding on flake food. he is still a little skiddish, so he wont go out into the open to snag something, but if something comes in close proximitty, he goes for it. for a while, i was direct feeding to make sure he got something, but now he comes out enough where i dont have to worry about that too much.
at first, he stayed in the same area, so it was easy to find him, up until recently where i will see him pop up just randomly throughout the tank now.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one, and just like most fish that i have at the start, they hide. they are known for perching, but for the longest time, maybe 2 to 3 weeks, mine had a hiding spot in a small cave, within my macro algae. about a week ago, i found that he has been a bit more adventurous, and sat on top of one of my rocks. last weekend, i added a hammer coral, and as of yesterday, he has become way more adventurous. i found that he has taken a liking to my hammer coral, whether it is perching just underneath it, or actually sitting within it. i also see him move quite a bit more throughout the tank in general, now.

from the start, i never really had any issues feeding. i found that he is fine with feeding on flake food. he is still a little skiddish, so he wont go out into the open to snag something, but if something comes in close proximitty, he goes for it. for a while, i was direct feeding to make sure he got something, but now he comes out enough where i dont have to worry about that too much.
at first, he stayed in the same area, so it was easy to find him, up until recently where i will see him pop up just randomly throughout the tank now.
Exactly like mine. Barely had him two weeks. Slowly he is getting more confident, but he is still in a 10 Gallon QT all alone, and no corals.

I can't wait to put him into one of my tanks. I know he won't exactly be swimming around, but perching fish are cool since they stand still to get a good view of them. (And they are pretty little fish) I've seen a bigger one than mine at store and they get really pretty when they reach a whopping 2" inches big which takes probably years...

Cute fish are just cute fish. One Green Clown Goby is a nice addition to ANY tank but not for your main display fish.

Mine is going to go into a 110G tank, so he will vanish, but hopeful show his prescence when he finds a few favourite hangouts. Food always get a fish to come out, and when there is competition for food they get more daring, or desperate.

Last edited:

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly like mine. Barely had him two weeks. Slowly he is getting more confident, but he is still in a 10 Gallon QT all alone, and no corals.

I can't wait to put him into one of my tanks. I know he won't exactly be swimming around, but perching fish are cool since they stand still to get a good view of them. (And they are pretty little fish) I've seen a bigger one than mine at store and they get really pretty when they reach a whopping 2" inches big which takes probably years...

Cute fish are just cute fish. One Green Clown Goby is a nice addition to ANY tank but not for your main display fish.

Mine is going to go into a 110G tank, so he will vanish, but hopeful show his prescence when he finds a few favourite hangouts. Food always get a fish to come out, and when there is competition for food they get more daring, or desperate.
i feel its like a game of wheres waldo. its kinda fun, really. all of a sudden, "oh well hi there. whatcha doin over there?"

20210621_141713.jpg
20210621_142925.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel its like a game of wheres waldo. its kinda fun, really. all of a sudden, "oh well hi there. whatcha doin over there?"

20210621_141713.jpg
20210621_142925.jpg
Hmm. You got me thinking he may go into my LPS Tank (If they do like Euphyelia), however I'm also thinking he will be in a more natural enviroment being in my ONLY-SPS tank, which he can't go into (Yet!) since most of my SPS corals are just frags, or mini-colonies. I read that best to put these fish into more mature SPS tanks, that way them sitting on a SPS branch isn't as smothering to the SPS coral.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. You got me thinking he may go into my LPS Tank (If they do like Euphyelia), however I'm also thinking he will be in a more natural enviroment being in my ONLY-SPS tank, which he can't go into (Yet!) since most of my SPS corals are just frags, or mini-colonies. I read that best to put these fish into more mature SPS tanks, that way them sitting on a SPS branch isn't as smothering to the SPS coral.
ive had him even sit amongst my zoas. not sure if he will feel comfortable within SPS, but i have a feeling they might

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as everyone else’s. Just perches on various corals, my tank is mostly LPS & softies. I love him!

Attachments

• BBB4233F-4D58-46FE-BB9D-9B151DFE4932.jpeg
    BBB4233F-4D58-46FE-BB9D-9B151DFE4932.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 150

BPCGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try live food like copepods, brine, or bloodworms. Mine goes bananas for live bloodworms, and its cute to watch him slurp the worm up like spaghetti.
My goby lives 70% of time perched in a trachyphillia that mimics his colors. He moves around to 4-5 other perching spots on top of duncans, mushrooms, and inside palythoa. He is my favorite fish!

Back