Green Fluorescent Mushroom Losing Color

Nate92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I recently purchased a green fluorescent mushroom from Live Aquaria. It's steadily been losing color, especially over the last few days. All the other corals and fish in my tank are doing fine. I currently have the mushroom placed in the bottom of my tank (80G, 16" deep). It is not shaded from my lights (ATI), and I would guess that the part of the tank in which the mushroom sits has low/medium water flow. Any suggestions for what I can do to ensure the mushroom survives and thrives?

Thank you!

-Nate

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dkh is high.
Nitrates at 0 isn't good
Phosphate at .2 is very high.
Ammonia is likely background noise.
Suspect your using API kit on that.

Of course your SG is high as you said.

If running a skimmer, take it off line for a few days to a week till N03 is 5 ppm.

Run some GFO to reduce your P04. Needs to be around 0.02

What lighting are you using?

OP
OP
N

Nate92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dkh is high.
Nitrates at 0 isn't good
Phosphate at .2 is very high.
Ammonia is likely background noise.
Suspect your using API kit on that.

Of course your SG is high as you said.

If running a skimmer, take it off line for a few days to a week till N03 is 5 ppm.

Run some GFO to reduce your P04. Needs to be around 0.02

What lighting are you using?
Thanks for the feedback! I used an API kit for everything. Realistically, both my ammonia and phosphate are closer to zero than the number I listed. I'm not sure of the exact type of lights I'm running (I bought it used and didn't know enough about the hobby then to ask), but they're eight long bulbs from ATI- I'm pretty certain the set up is pretty heavy duty. How would I go about reducing alkalinity? It seems odd that everything else in the tank is doing well.... thought something might be off with the mushroom specifically.

Thanks again!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I used an API kit for everything. Realistically, both my ammonia and phosphate are closer to zero than the number I listed. I'm not sure of the exact type of lights I'm running (I bought it used and didn't know enough about the hobby then to ask), but they're eight long bulbs from ATI- I'm pretty certain the set up is pretty heavy duty. How would I go about reducing alkalinity? It seems odd that everything else in the tank is doing well.... thought something might be off with the mushroom specifically.

Thanks again!

As with any coral that pales, either there isn’t enough nutrients in the water (N03 and P04), light intensity is too great or not enough and or high dkh.

Light acclimating corals is also important when first introducing them to a new system. Starting out low in the tank and over the course of weeks raising them slowly on the rock work.

I suspect light intensity and lack of N03 is causing the mushroom to struggle. They enjoy “dirtier” water pramameters, especially N03 at 5-10ppm.

I would suggest getting better test kits such as Salifert or Red Sea.

Dkh with API is most likely off, if your not dosing Alkalinty or a Ph buffer. Later isn’t a good idea.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back