Green growth on sand bed.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently battling this green growth on my sand bed. Not sure what it is but if I had to guess I would say green Cyanobacteria.
looking forward to see what you reefers think, and how it can be addressed.
61DA4140-E0A4-41B8-98AE-4FCFC9D5F0EE.jpeg
10985018-DC67-45FD-9FA9-8EDA4C87D3F7.jpeg

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano to me. Do you have much flow across the sandbed? Any CUC (like nassarius snails) that would turn the sandbed over? I’ve had the same cyano turn up in dead spots in my tank, even after getting nutrient levels where I want them. I just made sure that area was getting some flow.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano to me. Do you have much flow across the sandbed? Any CUC (like nassarius snails) that would turn the sandbed over? I’ve had the same cyano turn up in dead spots in my tank, even after getting nutrient levels where I want them. I just made sure that area was getting some flow.
I have two jebao scp 90’s (gyre style). And They are overkill. But these spots in particular do get less flow than the other spots, I can add a wave maker there.
I also have nassarius snails and sand sifting starfish.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently battling this green growth on my sand bed. Not sure what it is but if I had to guess I would say green Cyanobacteria.
looking forward to see what you reefers think, and how it can be addressed.
61DA4140-E0A4-41B8-98AE-4FCFC9D5F0EE.jpeg
10985018-DC67-45FD-9FA9-8EDA4C87D3F7.jpeg
green cyano or film algae. usually caused by nutrients or poor sandbed turnover. Ceriths and Nas will help

jdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having some GHA and other green algae growth on my sandbed - I reduced my light for a couple of days, and bought one of these Rimless Snail and Hermit Clean up Crews https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/cleaner-packages-with-free-shipping Within a week it was all gone and pristine. Maybe try that route, along with a water change and sucking as much of the algae off the bed as you can.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two jebao scp 90’s (gyre style). And They are overkill. But these spots in particular do get less flow than the other spots, I can add a wave maker there.
I also have nassarius snails and sand sifting starfish.
tank might be too young for SSS, they may die... they need very established tanks with live sand otherwise they eat all the microfauna in the sand and then starve. Maybe see if you can trade them in and get some ceriths (who will turn sandbed, eat scraps, and algae, but don't eat or bother microfauna)

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank might be too young for SSS, they may die... they need very established tanks with live sand otherwise they eat all the microfauna in the sand and then starve. Maybe see if you can trade them in and get some ceriths (who will turn sandbed, eat scraps, and algae, but don't eat or bother microfauna)
I have had them for two years now, they started in my nano and now in the 60 gallon. doing great so far.
I might trade them in, will see how it goes.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look like green cyno, what are you nutrient levels?
very sorry forgot to mention them, 0.01 phosphates (working on raising them) and 5 ppm nitrates.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens, Sand collects poop and become a kind of like a algae scrubber.
Either you get some good sand shifting inverts or you do the frequent cleaning (siphon, stiring). Better yet - get rid of the sand and go BB!

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens, Sand collects poop and become a kind of like a algae scrubber.
Either you get some good sand shifting inverts or you do the frequent cleaning (siphon, stiring). Better yet - get rid of the sand and go BB!
I can’t imagine having a reef tank without sand. I will be adding more cuc and improving the flow.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t imagine having a reef tank without sand. I will be adding more cuc and improving the flow.
I thought the same way for 20 years and then realized that in my new 400 gallon, i just can't be draining and siphoning water out in my living room. Not to mention I can't get to many areas of the tank. I used white starboard and once I have corals growing there and maybe make some nice rock structures at the bottom it won't be that bad. Best part is I can direct fish poop from the bottom up into the water colum with a unique closed loop.

In your case I would not be shy about siphoning out 25% of your sand and cleaning it in tap water until 100% runs clean, this is possible as Melev does it and aslong as you rinse it clean and soak in RODI water before putting back in your tank, you will be fine. I found this necessary in my previous 115 since it got dirty fast. Overtime i just stopped putting it back in as fast and realized few things, I have no more cyano, I have less bristle worms or the larger ones disappeared. smaller tangs I think is fine with sand since they are more likely to get waterchanges, and easier maintence.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever sort this out?
Yep a long time ago I am not sure if it was what helped but I used dino x by fauna Marin (since it’s technically an algaecide) and it disappeared shortly after.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back