green hair algae eaters

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is my tank to small for the sailfish blenny? i got the fluval evo 13.5
it can. i bought an adult a couple months ago. he just died a couple days ago. i believe he died from old age. im not 100% sure, but i bought another one. they arent pretty or anything that is eye catching. but they are fun to watch. they graze all day on rock, glass, etc. when they arent eating, they usually perch somewhere. so, i guess it depends on what you want. i like watching "working fish" such as diamond gobies, the blenny of course, etc. snails are great too, but they arent fun to watch, but they are very very useful. almost more so than a fish. snails continually eat as they move, and can probably do more cleaning than a fish can. only thing i dont like about them is that they are even less pretty to look at, but just as i have fish to clean, i also have large and small snails, and hermit crabs to do work that coincides with working fish.

OP
OP
chyllhouse

chyllhouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it can. i bought an adult a couple months ago. he just died a couple days ago. i believe he died from old age. im not 100% sure, but i bought another one. they arent pretty or anything that is eye catching. but they are fun to watch. they graze all day on rock, glass, etc. when they arent eating, they usually perch somewhere. so, i guess it depends on what you want. i like watching "working fish" such as diamond gobies, the blenny of course, etc. snails are great too, but they arent fun to watch, but they are very very useful. almost more so than a fish. snails continually eat as they move, and can probably do more cleaning than a fish can. only thing i dont like about them is that they are even less pretty to look at, but just as i have fish to clean, i also have large and small snails, and hermit crabs to do work that coincides with working fish.
thanks!

jmschrader19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal is key. Usually it’s too long for most cuc to make a dent, but once you do the heavy lifting, hermits, emerald, and snails (astrea or trochus) keep it from coming back.
I can attest to this! I have 2 tuxedo urchins, trochus snails, blue leg hermits, red leg hermits, Mexican turbo, 2 emeralds, bicolor blend and a tang. Yet, manual removal of the hair algae is still necessary to keep it from getting out of hand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back