green hair algae on codium (macro algae)

saltyfish24

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2021
Messages
183
Reaction score
76
Location
MN
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have green hair algae on codium. This is what codium looks like. It's hard to remove the hair algae without breaking off the fingers. I've read mix info about using peroxide for green hair algae, and I was afraid since codium is a type of algae, hydrogen peroxide might hurt the codium.

What other options are there to remove the hair algae?


1741904263942.png
 
If you don't have any way to remove it manually then I would suggest a UV sterilizer and then an invertebrate not large enough to eat the macroalgae (snails, shrimp, etc.)
 
Try lighting brushing it.
Dove snails are the recommended clean up crew for macroalgae but they can be hard to come by. *DO NOT BUY LIGHTING DOVE SNAILS they are not the same and will likely not clean your macroalgae.
 
Try lighting brushing it.
Dove snails are the recommended clean up crew for macroalgae but they can be hard to come by. *DO NOT BUY LIGHTING DOVE SNAILS they are not the same and will likely not clean your macroalgae.
Didn't know about these snails, thanks. They look pretty cool, so that's a big plus.
 
If you don't have any way to remove it manually then I would suggest a UV sterilizer and then an invertebrate not large enough to eat the macroalgae (snails, shrimp, etc.)
I have a 1200 gallon reef tank and after 40 years and as much advice on hair algae I finally fond a solution which I want to share with everyone. A 6 inch UV bulb with a 90 degree stainless shield so as to not hurt my fish, moved around every 24 hours. I should sell this idea but love people who love the hobby, so here you go!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new