green hair algea help w/ biocube

brazilian_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had this cube for a few months now. have a outbreak of of GHA. my parameters were all spot on. the tank is not being over fed, no fish currently in the tank on the corals, cuc, and a shrimp. i do weekly 1.5g water changes. last week i cleaned the back chambers out of any detrious. did 2days of no light. but didnt see any diff. except that it ****** off my corals. i have been doing some spot treatment with peroxide. and thats been helping. as far as filtration. i have a media basket in the back of the tank. filter sponge on top. center is Chaeto. and last chamber is purigen and chemi pure. Fitration im running a mj900 for return. and a MP10ES. Lighting is Cree Leds. If im missing anything just shot me a msg. i really need to get this under control. i dont want to resort to using any chemicals in the tank. cuz thats just a temp fix. but this is really stressing me out.:sure:

lpslover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. I'm finally climbing on top of a long standing hair algae issue myself. The key so far seems to be weekly hand weeding, and holding the pH at 8.3-8.4. For me this has necessitated daily pH testing and hydroxide dosing (I use Aquavitro Balance, though Kalk should also work). It is a major pain. But I'd been battling the stuff for a year and a half before I read an article in CORAL magazine about ocean acidification favoring algaes over corals and had an "Aha!" moment. Been doing my pH **** routine for about two months now, and I'm finally almost hair algae free. Hopefully in another couple weeks the last spot will be clear and I can start relaxing a bit without it coming back. It's a battle still under way, but it may work for your tank as well.

BTW, what have you been doing with the peroxide? I haven't tried anything like that.

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And list your water source. Do you use whatever comes out your faucet or do you have an RO-DI unit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GalaxyS2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brazilian_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna start using kalk. But I think I'll give aquavitro a shot. I have the fuel. And heard good things about them. No skimmer. Thinking of getting one. Any suggestions I would like to keep it in chamber 1 of my BC 14. And I'm currently 1.5g water changes. I change my chemi pure and pura gen every 3 months. As for the peroxide I do spot treatments when the tank is drained. 50/50 ratio it's has helped me. as for my water source. I buy premixed from my lfs. Pics tomorrow

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try increasing ur mag. I had hair algae pretty bad, spiked my mag to like 1500. Ask the hair algae started dying off.

drunkenmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising Mag will help with byropsis algae, not Hair algae.. but raising ph seems to help as suggested. Its growing because there are available nutrients in the tank. When you test it dont show because the hair algae is consuming them. I would test you LFS's water BEFORE you do a water change to see its params. Astrea snails do a good job of cleaning it up also. And turbos but they are bulldozers lol.

lpslover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peroxide method sounds interesting. I run the bio cube skimmer on my 14 gallon bio cube. Cheap air driven skimmer, not the most efficient, but very few skimmers will fit in the very small back compartments. That is the one thing I hate about this tank. Still, any skimmer is better than none.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peroxide method sounds interesting. I run the bio cube skimmer on my 14 gallon bio cube. Cheap air driven skimmer, not the most efficient, but very few skimmers will fit in the very small back compartments. That is the one thing I hate about this tank. Still, any skimmer is better than none.
Not sure if itll fit the bio cube 14, but Im about to throw a Sapphire nano skimmer on the office tank.( jbj 12) Theyre epic little skimmers if you can find them.

Attachments

• sapphire.jpg
    sapphire.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 283
OP
OP
B

brazilian_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been looking for pictures online w/ people having a sapphire in chamber 1 on the BC, but i ran dry. =/ i was thinking about the BC skimmer but i really dont want to... not a big fan of air stones. mabye someone has modified one to no longer use a air stone? humm sounds like a fun project to me. ;)

drunkenmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea thats not hair algae, is it stringy with air bubbles forming up it? Does it look like brown jelly? If so its prolly dyno

OP
OP
B

brazilian_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another water change today. Soo if it is dyno, what's the trick to kill it.that one rock that was really covered I did a perox and toothbrush treatment and its all cleared up.

SU1BRzA1MjYuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzA1MjYuanBn.jpg

OP
OP
B

brazilian_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SU1BRzA1MjcuanBn.jpg

is there a posibility that i have a combo of dyno and gha? urggg the perox and water change is making the tank look better spent a few min today throughout the day w/ a turkey baster sucking up strings w/ bubbles on them... (signs of dyno) here is my current battle plan.. black out (4 days no lights) did a water change today. so i plan on doing another 1.5 two days from now. and kicking up my ph w/ some kalk? what do u guys think?:neutral:

lpslover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with _Alex_. I'm not seeing much gha. Looks like Dino/cyano. Plan sounds good. I would add an airstone while you do the black out. It will improve water circulation and redox both of which help eliminate Dino and Cyano.

Makes a lot of sense that the peroxide is helping with this. If that doesn't clear it you might want to try a red slime remover. I've had good luck with them in the past. Just make sure you read and follow the directions.

Also, change your chemical filtration media. It may be reaching exhaustion. I know my tanks usually hiccup long before a testable water issue if my filter media is past due for a change.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back