Green hair?

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be green hair algae? It looks brown under the tank lights, which made me thing maybe it's not gha. So I reached in to physically remove it from the sandbed for a picture under white lighting and it's definitely green. I grabbed a small portion above the sandbed and it came out in a large clump pulling sand with it. I only just noticed it down there as I was monitoring a zoa frag I had just peroxide dipped for the same reason (would've let it be, but the zoas were obviously unhappy it was there). I'm 99% sure it's gha, but I'm new to this and would rather have someone with more experience confirm.

20220511_194841_edited.jpeg
20220511_194150.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality in tank, my s22 ultra HATES taking pictures under blue lights and anywhere close enough to make out any detail and I didn't want to break out the dslr for this.

OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, I noticed the brown patch down there, figured diatoms since the tanks is 2mo old, what I didn't notice was that it's now waving at me.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be green hair algae? It looks brown under the tank lights, which made me thing maybe it's not gha. So I reached in to physically remove it from the sandbed for a picture under white lighting and it's definitely green. I grabbed a small portion above the sandbed and it came out in a large clump pulling sand with it. I only just noticed it down there as I was monitoring a zoa frag I had just peroxide dipped for the same reason (would've let it be, but the zoas were obviously unhappy it was there). I'm 99% sure it's gha, but I'm new to this and would rather have someone with more experience confirm.

20220511_194150.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality in tank, my s22 ultra HATES taking pictures under blue lights and anywhere close enough to make out any detail and I didn't want to break out the dslr for this.
Does it have that grassy smell? Looks closer to diatoms not hair and wavy.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220511_194150.jpg

I got rid of diatoms by adding UV sterilizer, it makes it harder for them to reporduce.

OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't smell anything, but that doesn't mean much, my wife tells me I have a bad sense of smell. I was unaware diatoms could be "hairy" like that though. The zoa plug had this on it when we brought it home, I figured it may have just spread as I never saw this before.

OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of diatoms by adding UV sterilizer, it makes it harder for them to reporduce.
I was planning to add a uv sterilizer here in the next week or so as a mater of fact. Not for any particular reason, just to have it plumbed up in case it's needed. But if it'll help with diatoms that's a plus.

Back