OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am east of there, just below Utica. There is a lot of smaller lakes and ponds that we kayak and fish along with the Erie Canal. Big lakes near me are Otsego Lake, Canadarago Lake, and Goodyear Lake.

I might try to get out there this summer.

I really need a boat. I prefer canoes, but car-topping on our little compact hatchback can be pretty harrowing, especially for interstate driving. It's probably not much good for anything but ponds or the margins of quiet lakes, but I have my eye on this silly thing:

Last edited:

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try to get out there this summer.

I really need a boat. I prefer canoes, but car-topping on our little compact hatchback can be pretty harrowing, especially for interstate driving. It's probably not much good for anything but ponds or the margins of quiet lakes, but I have my eye on this silly thing:

Feel free to reach out. If we are available I have a canoe as well.

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

Good development of the epilithon—I have learned this term as more correct in comparison with periphyton—with at least four different things growing in a nice patchwork mosaic.
  1. The filamentous green Cyanobacterium in microscopy images above. This kind of looks like a hair algae Green Alga, but I think it's Cyanobateria.
  2. Brown Cyanobacteria also observed with microscope. This thing along with #1 really had a lot of apparent calcite crystals among their filaments.
  3. A new green Cyanobacterium that grows as more of a gelatinous mat like the the ones that appear like pests in aquariums. It has a distinct blue-green color and seersucker sheen.
  4. These bare patches have been present all along. It think there must be something with an inhibitory, allelopathic effect here, maybe a Fungus or a Myxobacterium. I should investigate with the microscope.

resize-5-II-24-Green-Lake-I.jpg

resize-5-II-24-Green-Lake-II.jpg

resize-5-II-24-Green-Lake-IV.jpg

resize-5-II-24-Green-Lake-III.jpg

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some tank reshuffling and opted to change this one over to the desert vernal pool concept I've been working on. No livestock in it yet, but I added some leaf litter botanicals and also got the ripple generator running better.

Here's a quick Instagram reel.

E3AB2985-4149-4743-A44F-27D17A3BDEFE.JPG

EE65310B-432F-4D26-B148-0E7CB5779CB8.JPG

70C86AF2-A7B9-4B34-B7A1-E5574831F7BB.JPG

7CC90F4F-3193-4C8C-AF33-D7FE8B3D8D61.JPG

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back