Green mandarin that eats mysis - what's the value?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone local is selling a green mandarin that eats mysis / pellets. What's the value of that? I see them listed for 35 online but he's asking 75..

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone local is selling a green mandarin that eats mysis / pellets. What's the value of that? I see them listed for 35 online but he's asking 75..
depends on where he came from, if he was tank born from biota they initially sell for $90 @AlgaeBarn
If the mandarin was taught to eat frozen, I would pay less but still a resonable price.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to give a non-answer, but the value is a personal choice. If you're already feeding your tank mysis and pellets there's definitely a convenience factor. Perhaps offer to meet in the middle on price, or offer to pay the upcharge if/when it's eating that in your tank. Just some food for thought, pardon the pun.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
depends on where he came from, if he was tank born from biota they initially sell for $90 @AlgaeBarn
If the mandarin was taught to eat frozen, I would pay less but still a resonable price.
He was wild caught. You think $60 is a better price?
Hate to give a non-answer, but the value is a personal choice. If you're already feeding your tank mysis and pellets there's definitely a convenience factor. Perhaps offer to meet in the middle on price, or offer to pay the upcharge if/when it's eating that in your tank. Just some food for thought, pardon the pun.
Not a bad idea... I'll give it a shot

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the value. I bet they originally bought that fish at a retail price of $20-40. That's nice that it eats frozen but frozen food is not a staple in a mandarins diet, it's just a little something extra.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see the value. I bet they originally bought that fish at a retail price of $20-40. That's nice that it eats frozen but frozen food is not a staple in a mandarins diet, it's just a little something extra.
Right but this one eats mostly frozen. I suppose this is of value for me because I don't have the pods to support one yet.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right but this one eats mostly frozen. I suppose this is of value for me because I don't have the pods to support one yet.
The way mandarins digestive systems work is their small stomaches are not really able to store food so they have to constantly eat. This cannot be accomplished by feeding frozen food once or twice a day. Imo a mandarin that eats mostly frozen food is not a healthy mandarin

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy answer is that $60 is better for you than $75.

Otherwise;
I have paid more for a fish that was living in captivity and eating. The guy had an immaculate tank, the fish was getting hammered by another tang and it looked pretty beat up but otherwise, the fish was healthy. I paid more, the fish's fins grew back and it has been healthy and eating from day one. I didn't worry about disease or the fish slowy fading and dying like can happen with cheaper LFS fish that may have underlying health issues that manifest later.

The value of an easy to keep acclimated specimen is much greater than a known hard-to-keep fish that is normally picky and "only" eats live food. Still, I would want to see the tank (inspection) and see the picky fish eat pellets or frozen before I purchased unless the seller is a reefing community icon who routinely provides items like thiw for sale (as the seller was in my case.)

My fish was a "high dollar" rescue (I paid more than I could have at the LFS) but I needed more bioload and the tang was needed for algae issue as well as the fact that it needed to be rehomed because it was getting bullied where it was at.

hth.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back