Green monti dead, pink possibly on its way out :(

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk may be a problem. Alk swings may be a problem between the two salts. High alk with 0 nitrates is an issue. 0 nitrates with 1.0 phosphate is a problem. I'd say most all the problems you are experiencing lies within these things.

OP
OP
B

Bperau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk may be a problem. Alk swings may be a problem between the two salts. High alk with 0 nitrates is an issue. 0 nitrates with 1.0 phosphate is a problem. I'd say most all the problems you are experiencing lies within these things.

I think your right. I added soda ash from BRS 3 part solution to bring the alk up to 9. Infortunantly im going away for 2 weeks and it's going to have to deal with it. I wouldn't want to hook a doser up and take off so I'll have the person watching the house try to test but I'll just make sure I slowly bring it up to 10 over the next few days so maybe when I get back it won't drop below 8

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test it and keep it at where it is now without throwing another change at it. At least until you get back and can sort the other stuff out. Raising it significantly, or even just the fluctuation while showing zero nitrates could smoke everything. Anything between 6.7 and 7.2 dkh is typically ideal when showing undetectable nitrates.

OP
OP
B

Bperau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test it and keep it at where it is now without throwing another change at it. At least until you get back and can sort the other stuff out. Raising it significantly, or even just the fluctuation while showing zero nitrates could smoke everything. Anything between 6.7 and 7.2 dkh is typically ideal when showing undetectable nitrates.

I'll keep it stable as possible. Once I'm gone anything could happen lol. I'd rather nothing get added by someone who knows nothing about it then add to much soda ash and screw it up

OP
OP
B

Bperau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the monti is all I lose I can live with it lol

IMG_1389.JPG

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the going away thing. I'll be going away soon myself, which I never do. My junk is so complicated I won't even trust the lfs to help me out. And the last time my mother in law watched my tank for two days my eel ate my clown.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new at reefing still, but I've found in my SPS nano that the monti cap is the first thing to tell me something is off... Like when I had to go fallow after velvet and my Chemipure Elite stripped all my NO3 and PO4. My blue polyp green monti cap went from a really bright neon to a pale pea. Ca-430 Alk-7.5 Mg-1350 NO3-0 PO4-0. All tested with Red Sea Pro kits. I removed the Chemipure Elite and I'm dosing Red Sea energy A and B as well as using KNO3(spectracide) as needed to keep nitrates at 2ppm. Hoping that helps color up my monti. I was using the Red Sea Pro salt but I couldn't do more than one gallon water change(14g tank) because it would spike my Alk. It mixed betweek 11 and 12. I've switched to the blue bucket and I'll do a water change Tuesday on my day off and see what Alk it mixes to. Should be between 7 and 8.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new at reefing still, but I've found in my SPS nano that the monti cap is the first thing to tell me something is off... Like when I had to go fallow after velvet and my Chemipure Elite stripped all my NO3 and PO4. My blue polyp green monti cap went from a really bright neon to a pale pea. Ca-430 Alk-7.5 Mg-1350 NO3-0 PO4-0. All tested with Red Sea Pro kits. I removed the Chemipure Elite and I'm dosing Red Sea energy A and B as well as using KNO3(spectracide) as needed to keep nitrates at 2ppm. Hoping that helps color up my monti. I was using the Red Sea Pro salt but I couldn't do more than one gallon water change(14g tank) because it would spike my Alk. It mixed betweek 11 and 12. I've switched to the blue bucket and I'll do a water change Tuesday on my day off and see what Alk it mixes to. Should be between 7 and 8.
Sounds like you're well on your way to figuring it out. The more difficult the coral the more sensitive, and more important theses things are. Look at the most sensitive coral for signs. Sometimes this is more accurate then numbers or test kits. :)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're well on your way to figuring it out. The more difficult the coral the more sensitive, and more important theses things are. Look at the most sensitive coral for signs. Sometimes this is more accurate then numbers or test kits. :)
Thank you. I'm really enjoying that little tank. The funny thing is I have three acros that are doing just fine, birds nest growing like a weed, growth on my stylo, pocci and digi... the sensitive one, monti cap. "The beginner SPS."

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back