Green Moray body condition?

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this green moray about 10 days ago. He’s eaten twice a 8” whole octopus and two days ago a 12” squid. He’s not an aggressive eater. I’m not sure if he’s eating enough ? Attached are some pictures anyone familiar with morays can tell me if his body condition is good. Ty
ED20A8A5-FD00-4F10-9704-9F4B6C70CC6C.jpeg
F7665B35-1BAC-4F9C-BE2E-EB96767508D4.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish doesn't look that comfortable in the new digs yet. If it is not eatting aggressively it probably needs some time to adjust to the new location. Once it gets settled in it might just eat the zibra eel for a snack.

Also, I presume you got it from another aquarium owner who has had it for awhile. It may not be interested in eatting as often as it might in the wild?
eel moray GIF

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing strikes me out the norm. As far as eating, eels are better to eat on a gorge/fast schedule. It is how they eat in the wild and works with their natural metabolism. Feed them their full on feeding day, if you feed reasonably sized items they will not overeat, and will just refuse when full. That eel would only need to eat a couple a times a week at most, even up to every 5 days. When more mature eating once a week is more like it. They do need fasting time between meals and should get more active before offering food again.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%

Back