Green mossy algae?

StealthJett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some mossy type of algae that my turbo snail and hermit crab, my only cuc it’s only a 20G, aren’t touching. It’s slow growing but creeping for sure. Thanks!
5B736998-D631-4CD9-BED5-3D6DCBF67B8C.jpeg

OP
OP
S

StealthJett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also seems to be small patches of this apparent reddish, dark purple stuff. Doesn’t seem to be cyano because 1. It hasn’t spread exponentially and 2. It doesn’t blow off with a turkey baster.
9FD5CE02-1DAC-4B26-B962-6DC5FA046F09.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks very much like wire turf algae which fits your description well. This stuff is slimy, course and wire like which is impossible to pull off and just keeps sprouting at will. Its a battle to both control and remove but not impossible.
It is best dealt with in a separate container of tank water outside of the tank to encourage reproduction and a trick that works at times to to press it done with your fingers and then pull it off in a sheet/section.
If this does not work, soaking in fluconazole (flux), peroxide or liquid vibrant will help to loosen.
After clean up, cleaners that will help clean the rest are : Emerald crabs (which I rarely trust), chiton snails, ninja star snails and pencil or pin cushion urchins.
Reducing white intensity will also help weaken root system.

OP
OP
S

StealthJett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very much like wire turf algae which fits your description well. This stuff is slimy, course and wire like which is impossible to pull off and just keeps sprouting at will. Its a battle to both control and remove but not impossible.
It is best dealt with in a separate container of tank water outside of the tank to encourage reproduction and a trick that works at times to to press it done with your fingers and then pull it off in a sheet/section.
If this does not work, soaking in fluconazole (flux), peroxide or liquid vibrant will help to loosen.
After clean up, cleaners that will help clean the rest are : Emerald crabs (which I rarely trust), chiton snails, ninja star snails and pencil or pin cushion urchins.
Reducing white intensity will also help weaken root system.
Sorry a bit confused. How do I deal with it in a separate container. Do you mean like take the rockwork out? Syringe and spray it with flux, vibrant, or peroxide? Sorry can’t really visualize how to approach the recommendations.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry a bit confused. How do I deal with it in a separate container. Do you mean like take the rockwork out? Syringe and spray it with flux, vibrant, or peroxide? Sorry can’t really visualize how to approach the recommendations.
Take it out and into a bucket or small rubbermaid tub and add either flux, vibrant, or peroxide to the water in which you place the rock into

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.0%
Back