Green star polyp

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had this coral for about 7 months and it grows so fast, however oddly enough algae seems to have been growing on it and taking it over. Does anyone have any thoughts, also circled in red is dying polyps which I assume are being over taken

IMG_3209.jpeg IMG_3208.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had this coral for about 7 months and it grows so fast, however oddly enough algae seems to have been growing on it and taking it over. Does anyone have any thoughts, also circled in red is dying polyps which I assume are being over taken

Second picture makes it look like your system is overrun with algae. Could the algae be depleting trace elements needed by the coral?

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second picture makes it look like your system is overrun with algae. Could the algae be depleting trace elements needed by the coral?
The system does have a ton of algae, but that is probably due to the enormous carpet anenome which gets fed weekly, although I do dose Cheato gro and aqua vitro fuel

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? gsp will grow like crazy but will be finicky if algae is on it. For now I’d brush it off lightly with a soft tooth brush. While working on getting your parameters in check. Hard to say till we can figure out your algae problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Those circled are clove polyps

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? gsp will grow like crazy but will be finicky if algae is on it. For now I’d brush it off lightly with a soft tooth brush. While working on getting your parameters in check. Hard to say till we can figure out your algae problem.
My nitrates are at nearly 55, everything else is pretty good, when I brush the rocks the coralline algae seems take its place

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how is the flow on it they like high flow in my experience.
The flow is pretty high for the tank so I don’t think that is an issue, also it seems to grow very rapidly, the only issue is the algae taking it over from the bottom up

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are at nearly 55, everything else is pretty good, when I brush the rocks the coralline algae seems take its place
That is pretty high but to be expected if you’re feeding that heavily. I personally would try and to lower it.
That’s a good thing if the coralline takes over. I have had algea take over from the bottom on mine as well. But I figured out even though the rest of the tank had high flow the lower sections don’t as much because I keep sand and it’s tricky finding that balance.

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty high but to be expected if you’re feeding that heavily. I personally would try and to lower it.
That’s a good thing if the coralline takes over. I have had algea take over from the bottom on mine as well. But I figured out even though the rest of the tank had high flow the lower sections don’t as much because I keep sand and it’s tricky finding that balance.
That makes sense actually, the layout of the tank goes as follows (from the top view), I have a rectangle with rock in the middle, the pump is on the bottom right and the anenome is in the back section which in a way puts a cork on the circular flow. Maybe I will move the pump and it will provide more flow for the gsp and help to move the nem from the back of the tank

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be suprised how just a little more flow can help make a difference. I have a challenging aquascape for flow knowing what I know now I would have done things a lot more differently.

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be suprised how just a little more flow can help make a difference. I have a challenging aquascape for flow knowing what I know now I would have done things a lot more differently.
Is there a chance this ticks off my other coral?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those circled are clove polyps
baby GSP, not cloves. only thing to do is to reach into the tank at night when the GSP closes up and remove it manually, I would also remove as much as you can from those rocks while your in the tank already.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back