Torch - it's flesh band is longer than its polyps: cause?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this torch for over 8 months now....it's growing VERY slow, which I believe is the nature of torches if I'm not mistaken.

The polyps don't seem to be lengthening(growing), but instead it's more of the corals' base(flesh) that seem to be - the picture below on the left shows what I'm referring to.

Is my lighting maybe too low perhaps, or something else I should look at? This picture was taken with the lights that I have adjusted maxed out for the time of day. I don't want to risk going higher par unless I should?

I do notice that everything in the tank is growing slow...Ie. Acans, zoas, trumpet coral with exception of Duncans.

Any advise much appreciated. Thank you

20240309_165850_resized.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you consider slow for your other corals, but that looks like a short tentacle torch. They do not get the long tentacles if that is the case. It looks healthy though.

Here is a photo of short tentacle next to a long tentacle. Sorry for quality the lights are ramping down.

IMG_3441.jpeg

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The torch that I have is suppose to be a Blue Tipped Black Torch....I'm not sure if anyone has such to determine whether their polyps should be longer than what I have.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything growing slow reminds me of nutrients Being too low, or more likely, phosphate being too high.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a such thing as a short tenticled torch. I own one.
If you don't alrety I'd recommend feeding it if you want it to grow faster. I feed mine once every day or 2 with mysis.
I get 1-2 new heads every month.
They look pretty healthy. How Is the flow on it? Along with pho4 and no3?

I have pho4 at .22 and no3 at 20.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a such thing as a short tenticled torch. I own one.
If you don't alrety I'd recommend feeding it if you want it to grow faster. I feed mine once every day or 2 with mysis.
I get 1-2 new heads every month.
They look pretty healthy. How Is the flow on it? Along with pho4 and no3?

I have pho4 at .22 and no3 at 20.
I feed corals only once every 2 weeks, so I'll switch to what you do and feed often. Flow is set to random current on the wavemaker, and have it enough to have the polyps randomly swaying.

Nitrates are now at 5ppm, and Phosphates at 0.04.....perhaps I might need to address these variables as well.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed corals only once every 2 weeks, so I'll switch to what you do and feed often. Flow is set to random current on the wavemaker, and have it enough to have the polyps randomly swaying.

Nitrates are now at 5ppm, and Phosphates at 0.04.....perhaps I might need to address these variables as well.
If thoes 2 are stable that is really good.
I have my torches in low flow. The lower the flow the bigger the polyop/head will get.

Do you have any videos/ more pics?

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those parameters are fine. I’ve seen torches look amazing at even lower and much higher. Right now mine are 3ppm nitrate and .15 phosphate and fine. Most zoas, certainly any of the more common/cheap ones, should be growing steadily. My guess is it’s something else.

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t short tentacle torches grape corals (Euphyllia cristata)? Which is a different species, as torches are Euphyllia glabrescens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back