Torch flesh receding

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi reefers,

I have a torch that has serious flesh receding for unknown reasons. I had this torch for about 5 months and it grew from 1 head to 4 heads. Last month, I’ve noticed that its flesh receded a little, and I was hoping that it will recover itself. This only gets worse, and a month later, it receded half of its flesh (it used to have really healthy and thick flesh). Not to mention, this torch opens fine when the light is on, and I have about 5 other torches in my tank and only this torch is having this issue.

What can cause slow receding in the flesh without any noticeable change (just dipped in CoralRX, nothing fell off) ?

Here’s my parameters for reference (pretty sure it’s reasonable and stable as I have acro on the other half of the tank that’s doing well):
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 9
Phosphate: 0.8
Calcium: 430
Alk: 7.7
Mag: 1350
PH: 8-8.3

The third picture below also looks like one of its polyp is about to fall off
IMG_7203.jpeg

IMG_7205.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This was the same torch on 10/13, when I first observed receded flesh more than a month ago
IMG_6750.jpeg

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had similar luck with certain torches I’ve had two purple with purple tips do great. Then as soon as they go to split they receded and heads died. I have one splitting again curious to see if it happens again. Like you said full and fluffy then bam. I have multiple other torches that have always done fine in my tank as well.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve had similar luck with certain torches I’ve had two purple with purple tips do great. Then as soon as they go to split they receded and heads died. I have one splitting again curious to see if it happens again. Like you said full and fluffy then bam. I have multiple other torches that have always done fine in my tank as well.
Did you figure out what’s going on?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with flesh recession like that was due to flat worms on my torches. The torches would grow over months and then all of sudden I would see flesh recession like that and was like. I guess it will get better because they were all dipped after I got them and all the others are doing fine.

But that was not the case. What was happening was that the flat worms were multiplying over months until there was enough of them to start destroying and or killing the coral. They are not visible to the naked eye and about impossible to see.

I found that if I took 24oz of tank water to 1 capful of revive and few drops of seachem reef dip all in one bath....and leave the torch in there for 5 to 10 minutes that the flat worms would peel off. I ended up having to dip all my torches over like 2 weeks to ensure I got all the worms and eggs off the coral. This is with scrubbing skeleton with toothbrush etc. I think I have some pics on my build thread page 10 of the flat worms and maybe a video.

I hope its not that, but would be something I would be testing for.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My experience with flesh recession like that was due to flat worms on my torches. The torches would grow over months and then all of sudden I would see flesh recession like that and was like. I guess it will get better because they were all dipped after I got them and all the others are doing fine.

But that was not the case. What was happening was that the flat worms were multiplying over months until there was enough of them to start destroying and or killing the coral. They are not visible to the naked eye and about impossible to see.

I found that if I took 24oz of tank water to 1 capful of revive and few drops of seachem reef dip all in one bath....and leave the torch in there for 5 to 10 minutes that the flat worms would peel off. I ended up having to dip all my torches over like 2 weeks to ensure I got all the worms and eggs off the coral. This is with scrubbing skeleton with toothbrush etc. I think I have some pics on my build thread page 10 of the flat worms and maybe a video.

I hope its not that, but would be something I would be testing for.
I thought about it earlier, so I took it out for CoralRX dip last night. Unfortunately I don’t see flatworm fell off from it

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Well just FYI. My regular strength dipping regimen did not reveal the problem. The increased safe to use strength I figured out is what revealed it for me on the brand I posted. CoralRX may be a better product for them. I'm not for sure. Good luck and hoepfully others may have an idea.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can cause slow receding in the flesh without any noticeable change (just dipped in CoralRX, nothing fell off) ?
Change in chemistry of water, change in lighting, chemicals getting in to water, stinging of coral/worms, flow, imbalance or lack of nutrients.

This was just off the top of my head but I'm sure there are others.

OP, have you made ANY changes in the past few months?

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I have a torch that has serious flesh receding for unknown reasons. I had this torch for about 5 months and it grew from 1 head to 4 heads. Last month, I’ve noticed that its flesh receded a little, and I was hoping that it will recover itself. This only gets worse, and a month later, it receded half of its flesh (it used to have really healthy and thick flesh). Not to mention, this torch opens fine when the light is on, and I have about 5 other torches in my tank and only this torch is having this issue.

Here’s my parameters for reference (pretty sure it’s reasonable and stable as I have acro on the other half of the tank that’s doing well):
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 9
Phosphate: 0.8
Calcium: 430
Alk: 7.7
Mag: 1350
PH: 8-8.3

The third picture below also looks like one of its polyp is about to fall off
IMG_7203.jpeg

IMG_7205.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg
Well, your parameters look fine. I assume it’s receiving the same light as your other torches. Is this one receiving much higher flow? It still has a significant amount of it’s flesh band, as stated it might just be ticked from splitting.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Change in chemistry of water, change in lighting, chemicals getting in to water, stinging of coral/worms, flow, imbalance or lack of nutrients.

This was just off the top of my head but I'm sure there are others.

OP, have you made ANY changes in the past few months?
Not that I’m aware of. I’ve been adding corals, don’t know if that count. My phosphate dropped to 0 once, but I quickly fixed it.
Weird thing is that only this coral is slowly declining, and all other corals are fine

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, your parameters look fine. I assume it’s receiving the same light as your other torches. Is this one receiving much higher flow? It still has a significant amount of its flesh band, as stated it might just be ticked from splitting.
Yes, it sits next to other torches. Also, I haven’t touched it for a long time until I recently noticed the flesh recession. It used to do well in that spot

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Should I consider fragging it if the flesh receded to a point where I can cut without harming it? Don’t know if that will increase the survival rate

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it alone and monitor. At most you can do a lugol's dip, if you didn't when you dipped it already. It may be ok since you already tested for pests and all the parms and everything is good to go.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would leave it alone and monitor. At most you can do a lugol's dip, if you didn't when you dipped it already. It may be ok since you already tested for pests and all the parms and everything is good to go.
I already dipped it with lugols and CoralRX for couple times, but nothing changed. The flesh has been slowly receding for more than a month now. I will continue monitoring it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back