Torch Not Opening and Flesh Receding

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a really nice holy grail torch that has serious flesh receding. I had this torch for a few months, and it grows from 1 head to 2 heads. I’ve noticed recently that it shrinks a little with really bad flesh receding on one head. I have nearly 10 different torches, and only this torch is having this issue. Wondering if anyone know what can be the potential cause? (Weirdly enough, receding only happens on one head so far, and the other head opens much better)

I’ve dipped it on CoralRX and Iodine, and moved it to place with lower light and flow. Also dosed Cipro in tank for potential bacterial infection.
IMG_9122.jpeg
IMG_9123.jpeg
IMG_9125.jpeg
IMG_9126.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a really nice holy grail torch that has serious flesh receding. I had this torch for a few months, and it grows from 1 head to 2 heads. I’ve noticed recently that it shrinks a little with really bad flesh receding on one head. I have nearly 10 different torches, and only this torch is having this issue. Wondering if anyone know what can be the potential cause? (Weirdly enough, receding only happens on one head so far, and the other head opens much better)

I’ve dipped it on CoralRX and Iodine, and moved it to place with lower light and flow. Also dosed Cipro in tank for potential bacterial infection.
IMG_9122.jpeg
IMG_9123.jpeg
IMG_9125.jpeg
IMG_9126.jpeg
This is recession and assure your flow is not too aggressive, calcium is not low and that light is not excessive. Also assure phosphate level is noy elevated

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don’t think water parameters are the problem, so I didn’t post them. All other torches are happy

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is recession and assure your flow is not too aggressive, calcium is not low and that light is not excessive. Also assure phosphate level is noy elevated
Phosphate is 0.04. This torch has been on the same spot for a few months, so I assume light and flow are not the cause

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is hard to say. Cipro dosing needs to be done over 7-10 days did you do all that and do water change? Alternatively you can do the kfc dip.
I just started cipro dose last night. Plan to do it every 2 days with 3 total doses. I don’t have the medications needed for KFC dip.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started cipro dose last night. Plan to do it every 2 days with 3 total doses. I don’t have the medications needed for KFC dip.
Why dose the whole tank if only one coral is showing stress? Also torches recede if they are preparing to split too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Why dose the whole tank if only one coral is showing stress? Also torches recede if they are preparing to split too.
Don’t have a separate tank for dosing. It doesn’t open like it was before, so I don’t think it’s splitting.

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you dose cipro every other night.

You need to maintain a certain concentration since cipro breaks down with light.

Again I would recommend the kfc dip. It is on their website and it is exactly for this type of issue.

More concentrated and targeted. Dosing cipro to a big tank is a pain and you have to follow up with big water change and bacteria dosing.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you dose cipro every other night.

You need to maintain a certain concentration since cipro breaks down with light.

Again I would recommend the kfc dip. It is on their website and it is exactly for this type of issue.

More concentrated and targeted. Dosing cipro to a big tank is a pain and you have to follow up with big water change and bacteria dosing.
Yes, every other night. Have done this previously with success in the tank for bacteria infection. Dose after lights out because you are correct about the light aspect. Skimmer stayes on but no chemical media. This is last resort option. KFC better alternative initially.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you do that? I’ve heard that cipro dip is not effective.
I have not done it personally but basically what I've read you just leave the coral in some tank water for like 10 minutes with a high cipro concentration.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have not done it personally but basically what I've read you just leave the coral in some tank water for like 10 minutes with a high cipro concentration.
I’ve done cipro dosing before, so I’m confident about it. Will try to do it outside of the tank next time.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take would be cipro also. However, I dose outside the main tank in a smaller tank. How small? 2.5 gallons to be exact. I have an acrylic top with a small hole for air tubing. A small heater and that's it. I treat for about 6 days and then the coral goes back into the main display. It's worked really well for me.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My take would be cipro also. However, I dose outside the main tank in a smaller tank. How small? 2.5 gallons to be exact. I have an acrylic top with a small hole for air tubing. A small heater and that's it. I treat for about 6 days and then the coral goes back into the main display. It's worked really well for me.
How much cipro do you use for 2.5 gallon? Do you dose once or multiple times? Any water change? Did you keep coral without light for 6days (Assuming you don’t use light)?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the exact same problem, as soon as my torches started to spilt they began receding too. I believe I finally found the solution though. I don’t know how it’s going to sound to everyone else but you need to move it into very low flow and low light. Once the flesh and heals you can introduce it back up but for not it’s definitely upset about something so if it’s not parms it’s placement

( I’ve lost 2 torches to this issue and 2 more are just beginning to heal from it after moving them)

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the exact same problem, as soon as my torches started to spilt they began receding too. I believe I finally found the solution though. I don’t know how it’s going to sound to everyone else but you need to move it into very low flow and low light. Once the flesh and heals you can introduce it back up but for not it’s definitely upset about something so if it’s not parms it’s placement

( I’ve lost 2 torches to this issue and 2 more are just beginning to heal from it after moving them)
Noted for future reference. I have had one torch split (NY Knicks). Thankfully it is in the lowest flow area of my tank and on the sand bed. I have another in process of splitting and in a higher light & flow area. I will monitor and move it if it declines.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back