Green water on tap: Where does your phyto come from?

Where does your phyto come from? (select all that apply)

• DIY – I grow my own.

Votes: 59 29.9%
  • Local fish store (LFS).

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • Online – one at a time batches.

Votes: 50 25.4%
  • Online subscription.

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I don’t use phyto.

Votes: 56 28.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Oops! You’re right! It’s a 1ml syringe, not a 100ml! Hah
Happy Big Fish GIF by Outside Watch
Holy mackerel, didn’t want anyone hitting their culture that hot, lol.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Brucemull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently grow my own Phyto with pretty fair success. $50+ every month for a bottle of phyto and pods from Algaebarn wasn't doing it for me, so that's why I decided to culture my own, since my tanks are small and a batch will last me several weeks.

I started with a bottle of Nannochloropsis from Mercer of Montana after attempting to grow something with the Ocean Magic I was ordering (I know it's a mix, but it's what I had at the time.) The nanno was so rich and dark, it was a perfect starter culture.

Now every 3-4 weeks, I start up a new batch from the 8oz bottle I snag fresh from the previous batch, and pour that into a liter of fresh salt water and let it cook with some Guillard's F/2 for about a week. It usually gives me enough to go another 3-4 weeks before I need to brew a new batch again. I've been growing fresh batches from that initial starter since June, so... like 4-5 batches now.
What ratio of f2?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ratio of f2?
Well my water amount is 1 liter and I add 1 ml of F/2 the first day. I have been testing with an additional half a ml about 5 days in as a final boost going off some growing guides that I read, but I couldn't tell you if it's making a difference or not. I just haven't been doing it long enough.

Brucemull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my water amount is 1 liter and I add 1 ml of F/2 the first day. I have been testing with an additional half a ml about 5 days in as a final boost going off some growing guides that I read, but I couldn't tell you if it's making a difference or not. I just haven't been doing it long enough.
Thank you

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a weekly reef phyto subscription that's bundled with rotifiers and copepods. I'm just into my first week, which I dosed 3 days ago.

1698306845565.png

I get the above 3 x 50ml pouches delivered every Tuesday, and I add each 50ml pouch into my 120-litre (35-gallon) tank in one go.

The instructions state to add 1ml of phyto to 27 litres of tank water, so I'm adding far more phyto than needed (I added 50ml instead of the recommended 4ml). I called the company providing the reef phyto to make sure this was okay, and they told me it's not a problem to add the entire 50ml pack every week and shouldn't cause me any problems. If I dosed the phyto according to the instructions, it would take me 5 weeks to use the single 50ml pack, and the phyto would probably go off. As I'm getting a new pack of phyto every week, I decided to simply add the entire 50ml in a single dose.

Will overdosing phyto in a mixed reef cause any problems?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've got a weekly reef phyto subscription that's bundled with rotifiers and copepods. I'm just into my first week, which I dosed 3 days ago.

1698306845565.png

I get the above 3 x 50ml pouches delivered every Tuesday, and I add each 50ml pouch into my 120-litre (35-gallon) tank in one go.

The instructions state to add 1ml of phyto to 27 litres of tank water, so I'm adding far more phyto than needed (I added 50ml instead of the recommended 4ml). I called the company providing the reef phyto to make sure this was okay, and they told me it's not a problem to add the entire 50ml pack every week and shouldn't cause me any problems. If I dosed the phyto according to the instructions, it would take me 5 weeks to use the single 50ml pack, and the phyto would probably go off. As I'm getting a new pack of phyto every week, I decided to simply add the entire 50ml in a single dose.

Will overdosing phyto in a mixed reef cause any problems?
Can you get them to send them to you less frequently?
Its just like food I suppose so it may increase your nitrates and phosphates over time.
You'll get a healthy pod population going that's for sure.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original starter cultures came in 5 ML viles from a Lab in California and a Lab at Chesapeake

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to grow my own. Still doing ALOT of research, especially on lighting and the spectrum that is really needed to grow healthy Phyto and Cope pods.
As for now I do get my phyto from @Reef By Steele
I’m on my second try, first was very good. I’m doing 2 strains in separate gallon jars and 1 gallon glass jar of pods. It felt really good to feed some of my fish with the pods I made last week. I’m new to this side of everything! Keep going

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on my second try, first was very good. I’m doing 2 strains in separate gallon jars and 1 gallon glass jar of pods. It felt really good to feed some of my fish with the pods I made last week. I’m new to this side of everything! Keep going
I get it from @Reef By Steele he’s my husband lol but I did the 3 gallon jar kit on my own from the instructions, I probably asked a couple questions. I usually just clean the fish tanks with the scraper thing lol feed sometimes, always talking to my fish. Ha I started helping him with the business side after he had surgery, and I really like doing that part to.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back