Time for a Tank Tour! What is your favorite thing to look at in your tank?

• I have this one fish that I can't get enough of!

Votes: 31 11.7%
  • I'm captivated by this one coral in my tank.

Votes: 29 10.9%
  • I have an invert that is so much fun to watch.

Votes: 26 9.8%
  • I actually have several favorites!

Votes: 103 38.7%
  • My favorite thing to watch is actually a bit unconventional...

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • I don't have a favorite thing! I just watch everything!

Votes: 118 44.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

We all have those one or 2 things that steal the show in our reef tanks! It might be that ultra colorful coral or that fish with the super awesome personality or that invert that's always stealing from other inhabitants in the funniest ways! Who are the stars in your tank? What are your favorite critters to watch? Post up a photo or 2 of inhabitants that you love to watch in your reef and tell us why they're special!

upload_2019-1-8_12-13-33-jpeg.939035

Photo by @Vinnybagodoughnuts

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3" long mantis shrimp that I collected while snorkeling in the Florida Keys. I've had it for over a year and it's grown about an inch in that time. So far it's been a good citizen in the tank I have with mostly other local collections.

wheels4896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20230815_121218891.jpg

I love my jaw fishies. This is an old picture. Fun to look back and see how different things are now. This was the first time these two interacted (got into a fight). They're now a mated pair.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that everything in the tank is just so durn fascinating! I'm always checking on everything...did that new Zoa open yet...that must be a spaghetti worm there...need some Apitasia-X again...does that Goni have another polyp...what's the Urchin wearing today...what's that Nassarius eating...who keeps bothering the Rock Flower...is that some new Caulerpa growing...?

There's just so much to see! :star-struck:

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is closer to the surface and much easier to photograph, so I love checking it out every day.
If I blast the polyps to make them retract, almost the whole thing is a gradient hot pink to a pepto pink down lower. It's too bad the polyps aren't changing much yet if they do at all, but it is what it is. I really like this one.
It's kind of my upper light limit canary coral. It gets 500+ I'm experienting to see whether that's what it wants, or whether it wants less. Not sure yet. It's the tabling type. I have another one of these too, but it's peach.

Recently though, I sat and enjoyed a vodka and redbull while I watched my diamond goby steal shells from everywhere in the tank to build himself a house that wouldn't cave in. It's kind of neat how they know how to do that.

1709325446966.jpeg

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies as neat things happen. My tennis ball sized galaxia probably gets circled back to more than most though. I got it as a little flat piece about the size of a quarter not really understanding what it was.

A Green with blue polyp monti cap lives with it, for some reason it doesn't seem too bothered about getting a couple small stings now and then. I've walked in to find a lobo that's 6-8" away with a mouthful of galaxia stingers once, but it didn't seem to care either.

Cool coral, I'm just afraid to put anything else near it. Fortunately I've kept it movable, so when the time comes and it gets too big I can frag it out or maybe dedicate a nano tank to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301-190322.png
    Screenshot_20240301-190322.png
    2 MB · Views: 124

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The Queen Trigger that’s terrifyingly beautiful. I’ve never observed something that’s so fueled with testosterone and is so aware of where I am at all times it’s fascinating.

2. The Golden Puffer that’s color is so vibrant it makes everything else look somewhat dull in comparison. Almost looks like it’s from another world. Absolutely majestic.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpeg
    IMG_0704.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 86

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a giant Space Invader Pectinia that occupies a large portion of the right side if my aquarium. It nearly always grabs my attention when strolling past the tank.

My LFS had someone trade a huge one in last year. I think they had it for about a month. First time I saw it, it was in full on defense mode and they had probably a 3x3' space dedicated to the thing. Definitely cool to see, and I absolutely noticed when it was gone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back