Green wire algae?

reefydude360

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been having a problem with the green macro algae thats trying to take over my tank. I’ve come to the conclusion that its green wire algae due to its growth pattern being single strands and how tough they are and how they grip the rockwork. Ive read this type of algae grows in low nutrient conditions anyways so I decided to try and manually remove it to no avail. Every time I remove it, it just grows back from whats left gripping the rock in the matter of a few days. I decided to get an emerald crab to eat it but the little dude kind of lost his appetite for it after a few days and wont eat it much now. My tailspot blenny picks at it every now and then but makes even less of an impact. The algae is slowly but surely taking over more and more rockwork and starting to really annoy some corals(and me) so im asking for any advice on people who have beat this thing. Theres not really much advice on this nuisance algae compared to others like Bryopsis. I can’t really get a rabbitfish or a tang to destroy the stuff as my tank is way too small for them, a 20g L. I would be super grateful for any suggestions!
803E8EC1-6B13-4FCF-9D5B-E0758355BC9B.jpeg
348C322D-8820-4363-8AD5-2132ED3DA571.jpeg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have rapid algae growth then check your nitrates and phosphates. What are they and what test kit do you use?

You could get a small young yellow tang and rehome it or give it back to the LFS once it gets bigger. You could also get snails like Mexican turbos, trouchus, gold ring cowries, and astrea. I have seen them eat it although not like a tang.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back