0   0   0
IMG_0765.jpeg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there everyone! I am a Canadian currently living in Japan who is just about to dip their toes into reefing. I have quite a lot of experience with fish as my dad was the owner of several tanks from 50g to 300g and a lot of small spawning/breeding ones, almost entirely freshwater though. I also enjoyed and building custom acrylic tanks and housings for reptiles too as a kid. The past year or so I've been slowly gravitating into the idea of not only getting back into fish but something I am somewhat unfamiliar with, motivated by regular exposure to a local marine focused university. My tank(s) are mostly ready to start slowly rolling out so I will look forward to throwing down some of my basic start ups and struggles while hopefully seeing if the lack of resources in my location can stimulate some creative thinking. If anyone has any tips or is also in Japan, feel free to contact me!

Another to note is, I've only once had somewhat of a deep conversation with someone from abroad about the topic of saltwater fish and corals, I can't remember much as we were intoxicated but I am positive I heard him mention there are both corals and fish not allowed to be exported from here and also there is a division of information and practices between non-English speaking countries. If anyone knows anything about this, also please do reach out and give me a dump of information if you enjoy the topic or have any knowledge on it.

Thanks for reading my long winded introduction.
Hey have fun. Sounds like a challenge No one hardly agrees with one another here ha ha one big happy family. There are lots of articles by some really big credential carrying scientists chemists fish doctors, I doubt you can read them all. The one place I went to at the beginning was Bulk Reef Supply. Goggle that they are a store, but did a series of videos covering a lot of basic and not so basic information. They built an aquarium ie started it from beginning to end. If you are interested when you get to that point I have an article talking from beginning to end about starting the nitrogen cycle in your tank using the fishless method. You should goggle that as well as that is the most important begging point. I dont know anything about rules their I thought they ate them all

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back