Grey fluffy stuff

al619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please identify this grey stuff growing and swaying on my rocks. It seems to come easily with a turkey baster but grows back. My corals are all doing fine.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please identify this grey stuff growing and swaying on my rocks. It seems to come easily with a turkey baster but grows back. My corals are all doing fine.
Probably turf algae based off of description but we're gonna need a photo

OP
OP
A

al619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• DDAAFEF3-EDCA-4221-A7AD-B2E8F41BDC12.jpeg
    DDAAFEF3-EDCA-4221-A7AD-B2E8F41BDC12.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 58

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some type of Cyano or just buildup of detritus, do you have any flow in that area?

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would see if this is relevant. I was doing my maintenance and blowing this sh%t off my rocks and notices on the rocks in the bottom back of the tank were covered with what appears to be spirorbid worms. Could there be an correlation between the two? Maybe trapping the detritus? Just trying to think outside the box... Still not harming anything, just annoying!

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this in another thread, thought I would share since I was very frustrated with this stuff...

Quick update on this stuff... Two things have changed in my tank recently. 1) I have implemented the AF probiotic method to reduce my nitrates and phosphates. It is working and they are down significantly from 50+ NO3 and .3 PO4 down to 15 and .08. I noticed a lot of improvement with this stuff, but it was still there just not as bad.
2) I was having some issues with my torch when splitting so I did a dip then did an in tank treatment of cipro. I also have some issues with bubbling acros, so thought I would see if the cipro helps that at all. Today was my final day of my 4 day dosing and I noticed a lot of debris in the sand. Guess what.... I believe the cipro has caused this stuff to dislodge from the rocks.

I wanted to share both major changes, but I am VERY interested in others thoughts on this and if this might mean it was a bacteria build up on the rocks????

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back