"grooving" noted in SPS

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

have noticed on some sps I get "grooving" or an area of demarcation between branching on corals. Seen on some acro and milles, does not appear to have any effect on growth etc. I have always assumed this was a normal phenomenon, but just curious if others have noted. thanks

Mark

grooving.JPG

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mark, looks like you are running t5's so shadowing isn't the cause. I don't think that is normal and would dip a colony doing that in some bayer and see if any pest came off.

OP
OP
favites

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys-- I run at ATI T5- led hybrid. I dip everything in Bayer and then some, definitely not a pest. The grooving is very symmetric, it is not dead tissue , just area of less pigmentation. Hard for me to get a good picture of with my iphone.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys-- I run at ATI T5- led hybrid. I dip everything in Bayer and then some, definitely not a pest. The grooving is very symmetric, it is not dead tissue , just area of less pigmentation. Hard for me to get a good picture of with my iphone.
Good to hear it's not bare skeleton!

OP
OP
favites

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perhaps its flow-- it was about a foot size colony before recently fragging it. It is sandwiched between 2 mp 40's and gets mega flow, but maybe when its more dense the detritus collects enough to cause the effect. Come to think of it it the effect was negligible on the outer portion already fragged. I'll buy detritus and flow. thanks guys!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back