Grounding probe or No grounding probe

  • Thread starter Thread starter sucker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Wow, just got an email for this thread update..... this was back when I was a reef tank hobbiest. Haven't had a tank in years and haven't been shocked either lol..... cheers reef community and happy holidays!
 
Guys….. I’m sorry, I have read through this thread and think I have confused myself more than I originally was.

in Laymans term, should I run a grounding probe? The cheap titanium ones with a three prong outlet that I can buy on any of the aquarium store websites?

I have a fairly large set up, with lots of different devices just want the safest route for my livestock
 
Guys….. I’m sorry, I have read through this thread and think I have confused myself more than I originally was.

in Laymans term, should I run a grounding probe? The cheap titanium ones with a three prong outlet that I can buy on any of the aquarium store websites?

I have a fairly large set up, with lots of different devices just want the safest route for my livestock
I would do it. It's such a cheap way to add an extra layer of protection. There's no negative aspect of having one that I know of. I use ground probes and GFCI outlets on both of my tanks. I'd rather take the extra step even if it seems redundant than have a devastating accident down the road. Zero negative consequences of having one versus even the slight chance of catastrophe without seems like a no brainer to me.
 
I would do it. It's such a cheap way to add an extra layer of protection. There's no negative aspect of having one that I know of. I use ground probes and GFCI outlets on both of my tanks. I'd rather take the extra step even if it seems redundant than have a devastating accident down the road. Zero negative consequences of having one versus even the slight chance of catastrophe without seems like a no brainer to me.
But tripping the GFCI circuit is only relevant if all of the tank is on the same Circuit breaker?

also, if running a probe do I not ever need to
Sorry about stray voltage?
 
But tripping the GFCI circuit is only relevant if all of the tank is on the same Circuit breaker?

also, if running a probe do I not ever need to
Sorry about stray voltage?
I'm not an electrician so my understanding of it is very basic. My tank has everything running from the same outlet so if anything triggers the gfci the entire system is shut down. My understanding of the grounding probe is that it would make it so you do not have to worry about stray voltage.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new